1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

rzr won't start

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by JasonB, Jul 21, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. JasonB

JasonB Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2012 polaris rzr 800

Hello, new to the group but in need of some help. i just purchased a 2012 polaris rzr 800 EFI. on the maiden voyage i drove about 20 KM before the unit just died while travelling at low speed on a dry road. the information i got from the previous owner is there was an issue with stalling but by rebuilding the engine, replacing the electrical harness, rebuilding the clutch and finally putting a new transmission in all problems were solved. here is what i have done so far. as i was in the bush and really wanted to get back to riding i guessed that there was an issue with the fuel supply and went ahead and installed a new fuel pump. so i know that i have good pressure and volume. the injectors are clean and have a good spray pattern and fire when cranking. i put new spark plugs in and have nice clean spark. tested the pressure in the cylinders and had (mag side) 148 PSI and (PTO side) 145 psi. i removed and cleaned the oil relief dowel, it showed no signs of wear or scoring. the engine cranks great but will not run, it did previously backfire and i have cam position sensor error code and CPS error code. i replaced the CPS and the fact that i have spark means it should be good. i understand the cam sensor need to see the unit running at 400 RPM for a period of time before that error code will reset.

2. 89sandman

89sandman Biff SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Yxz, Rzr

First thing I would do is spray some starting fluid in it and see if it tries to fire. I would also check for pulse at the injectors. Tracing the cps wiring would be another thing to test. But first would be the starting fluid.

3. JasonB

Side X Side(s):

2012 polaris rzr 800

Tried starting fluid. Did not cause any significant changes in the attempt to start. I did chase both crank and cam wires back to ECU and they are good. And I have spark which is triggered by the crank sensor so that is also an indicator that it's good. I pulled the injects and fuel rail and held them together and cranked the unit. Injectors fire and have good spray pattern. Plugs also get "wet".

4. Mwaldo

Mwaldo Michael SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 700 6x6 2006

Sounds like flooding , try iridium plugs, hold it to the floor, also unplug the fuel pump. All else fails, do a leak down

5. JasonB

Side X Side(s):

2012 polaris rzr 800

So it's not flooding. I have replaced the voltage regulator the TPS and the still no luck. Is there anything that electrically will advance or retard the timing?

6. happycamper08

happycamper08 Kevin SXS Nation Rookie

This is probably going to sound stupid but, is the engine getting significant air? Blocked air filter or maybe the throttle body not opening.

7. JasonB

Side X Side(s):

2012 polaris rzr 800

Yes, removed air filter and housing so I could see direct into throttle body. Also propped it open with screwdriver and tried stating fluid. Cylinders have 150 psi compression. Have changed 90 % of the sensors and the voltage regulator. The parts that I didn't change have swapped with another machine to prove they work