1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Secondary clutch bolt 800 XP

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by Cattleman0311, Apr 17, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Cattleman0311

Cattleman0311 Justin SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 800, 2013 Polaris Ranger 800, 2017 Polaris Ranger 900

I have a 2013 Ranger 800 xp that the bolt on the secondary keeps coming loose on. We have tried blue lock tite and a new bolt and washer. Nothing seems to work. Takes longer to disassemble, fix and reassemble then the fix will last. Wondering if maybe we should try red lock tite or order a new secondary. This unit has just over 10,000 miles of ranch work on it and other than regular maintenance, we’ve never touched it. Or the 2011 for that matter. Primary is in excellent condition and belt looks gtg. Typically the fastest we drive them is 25 mph on hard gravel roads unless we’re getting after a calf. In the pastures we have canyons and we’re almost always in low (10 mph max) unless we’re going to be running over 15 mph. We do load them pretty heavily especially when we’re building fence as we have broken several of the what I would call a sway or stabilizer bar. Any help is greatly appreciated. I don’t understand why it won’t stay put. We have contacted the local stealership and they “ don’t have that problem”. @#$!!!

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

That is a new one for me- I've never seen or heard of that problem. How tight are you getting the bolt? Should be about 25 ft lbs-

The loctite might not be helping you at all, the secondary and that shaft will get so hot that it might be melting the locktite.

I'm thinking that the bolt just had a flat dished washer on it, you could try adding a lock washer between it and the bolt head. A 5/16" one should fit, even though the bolt is metric

3. Cattleman0311

Side X Side(s):

DieselFume, thanks for the response. We’ve tried the lock washer on the old bolt but not the new one. We’ve torqued it to several different specs because of multiple sources. The service manual states 17lbs and that’s the lightest that I’ve put on it. Maybe the stealership wasn’t bulls@#$ing us.

4. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

17 lbs might be correct for the factory spec, but that 5/16 or M10 bolt, can't remember what it is, should be able to handle 23 to 25 foot pounds. One other thing, I can't remember is that bolt fine threaded? If so I'm sure the torque value will be less. I guess worst case scenario, you could try red Loctite on the bolts and see what happens. have you ever replaced the secondary clutch on that machine? Only reason I ask, is because once they get up there in age maybe somewhere around 10 to 13 thousand miles, the secondary gets quite worn and can cause vibration around 15 to 25 miles an hour in high range, and I'm wondering if that maybe is causing that bolt to loosen up

alyaz and Jungleman like this.
  5. Cattleman0311

Side X Side(s):

She’s all original. I’m guessing your thoughts about the secondary being shot are probably what it is. The first time we took it apart and fixed it was the longest it lasted. Which we were able to gather up a couple hundred head then it spun out again. If I get time this weekend I’ll try the red loctite and a lock washer and see what happens. If that doesn’t hold then we’ll have to get the secondary replaced. Any suggestions for aftermarket secondary?

6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Easiest way to tell the condition of the secondary is to take it off remove the snap ring on the spring, be careful, it's under pressure, and take it apart to inspect the condition of the shaft in the bushing. If the shaft is all galled up and Rusty, more than likely you're going to need a new one. I have had decent luck with buying used secondaries from powersportsnation . Com, but sometimes there is just no substitute for new

Cattleman0311 likes this.
  7. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I'll agree it may be worn out causing this problem, I'm a fan of Loctite couple things of note, always clean the parts good they have a cleaner but brake kleen works just as well and when it comes to red, just a little drop will do ya and allow time to dry.

Cattleman0311 and DieselFume like this.
  8. Cattleman0311

Side X Side(s):

Finally got time Sunday afternoon to pull her apart. Found out that the splines on the secondary were stripped. The splines on the transmission shaft must be quite a bit harder because they looked fine. So ordering a new secondary. Don’t know if that was the original cause or if the bolt giving up the ghost caused the female end on the secondary to strip out. Either way, she should be good to go. Thanks for the help. Adam, the bolt has standard threads. I didn’t want to say anything until I knew for sure as I couldn’t remember when you asked about it.

DieselFume likes this.
  9. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Glad you got it figured out, this one left me scratching my head a little bit, but the splines being stripped out makes perfect sense as to why it was loosening the bolt. Can't say I've ever seen one strip the splines out either, but there's got to be a first for everything!

10. Curt

Curt Administrator

Yeah thats definitely a first for me too.

11. Cattleman0311

Side X Side(s):

Well, been over two weeks with the new secondary and zero problems. Thanks again.

Seastacker, DieselFume, Curt and 2 others like this.
  12. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Glad to hear that its all good now with the riding season here!

13. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Sounds like you found the problem!