1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

SERIOUS ROLLCAGE QUESTION

Discussion in '1000: S, XP, & Highlifter, 2 & 4 seat' started by Gold Digger, Jan 3, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Gold Digger

Gold Digger Frank SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris Gold Edition

I have a 2017 RZR 1000 XP rocks Edition. did not do much research on side by sides before I bought it. I have a friend that was concerned that I bought it and told me about a story that one of his friends on a Kawasaki flipped a side by side front over and collapsed roll cage, he is now paralyzed. So my question may be a stupid one but how secure is the factory roll cage on these RZRs. I don't think in my mind they would design a roll cage that can't withstand a rollover. Has anybody had any experience with rollovers is this something I should be concerned about. The last thing I want to do is roll it over ,that would probably be the worst day of my life but if it happens will I be protected. I know instances you never know but I don't plan to roll it at a hundred miles an hour so it would basically be straight over probably.

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

Factory roll cages don't compare to aftermarket. They usually bend even on minor rollovers. They will protect you to a degree. I've been considering reinforcing my factory General cage. The only reason I haven't bought an aftermarket cage is because I really like the available accessories for it.

3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I would question the round bar cages like the older rangers have, once they started forming this adds a lot of rigidity, Subaru has been doing this for years and their formed B pillars are almost impossible to cut with all but the most powerful extraction tools. I've head ROPS thrown around from time to time and I really have no idea with these cages but have never seen where they are certified.

4. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

The Kawasaki cage is like two squares side by side with no triangular support.
    The RZR 1000 is triangulated at the rear to lessen the tendency to fold up.
    It is not a direct comparison but I rolled an Ace 4 times down a hill endo and the cage held up great.
    Yes, it was bent but it didn't collapse.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

The cage is ROPS certified, but I think that certification is just a crawling speed flip over on to the top under controlled conditions..

6. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

For my work I see A LOT of rolled over SXS's. Most are at lower speeds (30 or less) or on the dunes. The cages will typically bend, but I have not personally seen one collapse. I'm sure with enough speed one could fold up...there are pics on the internet of course. I think there are some additional supports you can also get that will bolt to the cage to firm it up too. As Curt already said, the aftermarket cages are stronger, but then you forego a lot of OEM accessories like doors, roofs, windshields, etc.

7. Campbell 305

Campbell 305 Steve SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 RZR XP 1000 4 seater

My experience with cages and rollovers has lead me to using quality after market cages. My understanding is that a stock ROPS certified cage is good for 1 roll. Not multiple rolls during one accident. I put my old jagged x rzr end over end at glamis going pretty slow following someone who turned last second and I continued straight. So happens it was a pretty steep 40' drop. My wife and I did one complete flip after our front end dug in. First hit was on the back half with the next hit being the front half of our roof. We ultimately slammed down extremely hard on our wheels. Needless to say, the front end was ripped off along with most
    of the plastics. Our doors were jambed shut and the cage had collapsed pretty bad. Luckily we had our helmets on and the cage held up enough. However, if we would have made more than one rotation that stock cage would of collapsed completely down resulting in a longer hospital visit for my wife I believe. Sooooo, my opinion is get a high quality after market cage. Bolted together cages just don't have what it takes for these machines of today. Just my 2 cents.

Curt likes this.
  8. Gold Digger

Side X Side(s):

Holy S.... that would be the end for the SXS. My wife would freak... Man I am glad you guys are OK. So Definitely slow for me. Hanging out with wife . Need to get a stereo. Lol. If I want excitement I will ride my Honda CRF450r lol.

Campbell 305 likes this.
  9. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

My understanding of ROPS certified, and I come from the equipment side, first off it's special steel or at least treated like that on the factory floor and it will hold the weight of whatever it's applied on. If I'm wrong please correct me.

10. Gold Digger

Side X Side(s):

READ THIS >>>>>>>

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 7:34 PM
  11. Oilcan

Oilcan Steve SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

RZR XP 1K, Honda Rincon, Honda Rancher

New machine bud... let the stealer squirm on that stupid mistake.....