1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Setting Up a Dual Battery for a Intimidator/Mahindra

Discussion in 'Intimidator Nation' started by ckingwevl, Jan 4, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. ckingwevl

ckingwevl Chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Mahindra mPact XTV 1000 Diesel Crew

It surprises me how limited the availability is out there for UTV dual battery kits. I know not everyone with a UTV accessorizes their machines, but add a winch, a couple of light bars and maybe a stereo and you more then likely are running the risk of over taxing a single battery system. An exhaustive search on the internet for dual battery isolator kits yielded me only one true UTV kit by True AM (UTV / ATV Application | TrueAm Dual Battery Isolator System Problem with the kit is the mfg assumes the 2nd battery will be sitting right next to the 1st battery. Not always the case! Meaning the cables/wiring they supply are not long enough making half the kit worthless. By the time I price out the items needed individually, the battery tray, the battery, the battery cables, the True AM isolator (or any isolator that will work), the power busbar, extra wiring needed and optional circuit fuse box (if needed) you end up spending over $400 putting a DIY'er kit together yourself.

Disclaimer - I priced out good quality components for installation and wiring to avoid any potential hazardous risks down the road. Don't need my machine going up in flames driving down the road. So this project can probably be done a little cheaper. I'm not interested in building out a dual battery system in parallel which would be way cheaper. Been there done that with stereos and amps in my vehicles a time or two. It never ends well and tends to bite me at the least opportune time with dead batteries.

The Intimidator/Mahindra has a ton of space under the front row seating of their machines where all of this can be built out. I'm curious if anyone else with these machines has gone down a similar path setting this up?

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I have not heard of anyone doing this on this specific machine, but dual battery set ups with an isolator are fairly common. I also know that a lot of guys that had the room went with one big battery versus having the complexity of two. May be a good option for you if you have the room under there. Would just have to build battery box to house whatever size battery you end up going with if you went that route. You can pick up some nice dual purpose AGM batteries these days for decent prices.

3. ckingwevl

ckingwevl Chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Mahindra mPact XTV 1000 Diesel Crew

Thanks @Seastacker for the feedback. Unfortunately no room for a bigger battery in OE location. I relocate a larger single battery where I am going to install the 2nd battery and redirect the cabling to the engine bay that way. I am already running addition cabling anyway by adding a 2nd battery. So that's an idea worth considering.

Seems like isolators are the pain point for those with some experience setting up dual batteries. I know when I have setup dual batteries in my on-road vehicles, quality matters when it comes to your isolator choice. Cheap in yields cheap out!

4. Adriana Lynch

Adriana Lynch Ally SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Mahindra utv 750s

Where is the battery in Mahindra side x side????