1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Some little tricks that will save you time and money

Discussion in 'Trucks, Trailers, & RV's' started by Rhoda Mule, Sep 30, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

I am not overly smart but to quote Farmers Ins. "I know a thing or two because I have seen a thing or two." In my other life Read (younger life) I fished bass tournaments. It does not matter if you have the fastest boat, best electronics, best tackle, or the most lake knowledge, IF you do not make it to sign-in on time. So this is all about the trailer and tow vehicle.

Wheel bearings. Grease a little is better than too much or not at all. Find out what the grease was used in building your trailer and stick with it. Not all greases play well together. In my other life I carried a clean wax can filled with grease and in the grease a set of wheel bearings. A good habit to get into is to touch each hub when you fill up with gas, if one is hot you have time to deal with it. Bearing Buddies in my time, not sure what they are called now, cup with a spring to keep grease in and dirt and water out cause failures of inboard bearing nine times out of ten. This is due to fresh grease passes through the outboard bearing and carries finds to the inboard bearing. Even so the Bearing Buddies are well worth the investment. Just plan to have your bearings cleaned and repacked every 15,000 miles.

Gray Never-Seez The anti seize grease is the best thing you can put on electrical connectors. Use it in the fall on the trailer and tow vehicle plug contacts and in the spring you will be good to go. Make sure it is GRAY.

Extend by LockTite is the best thing I have found to combat rust on black trailers. When the rust is bark red this product is at its best. Rusted areas turn dark black and are all but invisible.

Chrome wheels will not rust if sprayed with pledge furniture wax two or three times a year.

Your trailer needs brakes. There is a child who's life was saved due to brakes on my boat trailer. RM IMG_0479.JPG

Rockin Ronnie and wgarcar1 like this.
  2. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Good info Gary.

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I think trailers are one thing that gets overlooked when it comes to maintenance for a lot of people just not thought about.
    Wheel bearings and tires are a big item in the summer for my tow drivers! Tires that dry rot from setting in the sun and wheel bearings running dry and seizing almost every weekend we get at least one it seems. And lights they worked the last time we used it :mad:

Rhoda Mule likes this.