1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Steering Rack

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Pede, Jan 8, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

1. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Anybody ever taken the steering rack apart, like removal of one of the tie rods? I happen to be working on a gator, guy's on those forums aren't much help so I'm asking here, they look close enough to a ranger rack. the gator parts actually shows the rod separated from the rack but not listed as a part. This rod is bent close to the rack and as a last ditch attempt will heat and straighten it altogether. price is not bad at $150 but trying to avoid some skinned knuckles. I got access to the automotive special tool.

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Are you saying the replacement steering rack is $150? If so I would jump on that instead of messing around with the tie rod. The Polaris tie rods are also removable from the steering rack, but I am not sure if they are sold individually. May want to be careful with the heat as the ball and of that rod may have plastic inside of it. Not sure how you're going to know that for certain unless you can spot it from the open end. Straightening it is I suppose the cheapest way to go besides full replacement unless there is aftermarket tie rod ends out there for Gators that I don't know about

3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Yeah, i know it's cheap but so am I. Going to get a better look at it today, the thing that confuses me in the parts book, they show a nut on the inside and I don't know if it's a misprint or what, they don't show the lock nut on the tie rod end, I'll put the pic below. I'm sure I can straighten it once out, could even make a new one if I had to.
    6x4 Rack.jpg

4. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

If you heat it you will weaken the metal and just have to do it again. Spend the money and replace it. I think "ALL-BALLS" has them.

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Joe, that's an easy fix, hard part would be not melting the plastic around the ball. I got it fixed, did it cold in the press, not perfect but it didn't wobble when I adjusted it. Now since I did it cold that may have weekended it.