1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Steering went out

Discussion in 'Mule Nation' started by JimFromTN, Jul 10, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. JimFromTN

JimFromTN Jim SXS Nation Rookie

I was backing up the other day and started to turn the wheel and all of a sudden it broke free. It spins freely in either direction. It seems like it should be simple as replacing a pin but google has proven completely useless. Any ideas?

2. Farmeradam

Farmeradam Adam SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Gator RSX 850i

Jim I just had the same issue yesterday. Heard a knocking and it felt weird all morning then after lunch completely lost it. I ordered the new steering rack with the tie rods. John Deere has it for $322, Amazon has for $170

3. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Jim sorry for your problem. Please let us know how this fix works out. RM

4. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

May need to get a second person have someone turn the wheel and look see if the steering shaft is turning going into the rack (steering box) may have lost a pin or bolt if it is not turning if it is then like stated maybe a rack went bad!

5. JimFromTN

I took it in Saturday and hoping to find out more today. I have never worked on side by sides so I don't know the proper terminology but I will try to explain. Upon further inspection, it looks like the steering wheel shaft that goes down to the floorboard from the steering wheel has broken free. There appears to be a knuckle at the bottom of the steering shaft that attaches the shaft to the steering mechanism has broken. I am hoping this will be an inexpensive fix seeing as it looks like the part should not be too expensive and nothing really needs to be disassembled to replace it. Of course, it would not be the first time I was completely wrong and this could break the bank but trying to be positive.

6. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Well at least you now what the problem is. keep us posted on what the repair cost hope its not bad but don't hold your breath its a Side by Side!

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I'm glad that's all it was and that it should be fairly cost effective. My larger concern is why it broke. That would be a scary failure to have if you were at speed.
    I'm sure they are, but be sure the dealer checks for recalls and Tech service bulletins (TSB's) on this. Typically if there is a known issue on a steering, brake or fuel related part (one that could lead to injury), the manufactures don't delay in getting those taken care of.

8. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Jim how old is your SxS and is it a Mule Pro. Reason I asked is mine had a 3yr. warranty which just ran out this spring. RM

9. JimFromTN

Its a 2009 4010. Warranty ran out a long time ago.

10. JimFromTN

I got a call from the people working on my mule. They did not say exactly what they did to fix it but t was only $71. I will find out Saturday when I pick it up. What a relief.

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  11. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Glad it wasn't any more, that is bad enough. Will be interesting to find out what it was!