1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Teryx 4 Start issues

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Mack27, Jun 2, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mack27

Mack27 Bob SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Teryx4

Good day! I've been enjoying my Teryx for over 7 years. I've learned a bunch, and I've come across some things that others may encounter. This looks like a strong platform to spread information.

I ran across a starter issue, hit the key and get a rapid click. Checked the battery and it is fully charged.
    With a volt meter on the battery, there is no load when the starter is activated. The clicking is in front of the steering wheel, so I removed the cover next to the hood. The solenoid is mounted there so tried to jump and solenoid, worked perfectly, tried the key and there is the rapid click. On the passenger side of this area, there is a cluster of 3 relays. One of these was also clicking when the solenoid was clicking.

I unplugged the relay and tested the circuits. 2 of the connections are hot, and 1 feeds the solenoid.
    The problem I found is the ground to the relay. It is only present in neutral. When it is present, its to weak to activate the relay. with an external ground the relay works fine but the engine starts in gear.

I haven't found any info on where this signal comes from. I have one of the hot wires jumped to the solenoid wire and it working, but the safety is disabled.

So it wasn't a battery, a starter, or cables. There is probably a module somewhere... Probably big bucks at the shop.

Hope this helps, Love my Teryx4, only problem I have had accept blowing a belt at 200 hrs...

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  2. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Bob this is good stuff. Thank you very much. R M