1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Teryx Catalytic Converter..

Discussion in 'Teryx Nation' started by WagZ, May 12, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. WagZ

WagZ WagZ SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 Teryx4 LE

Sup folks,

Since none of the other Teryx owners have brought it up, id like to tell all future and current owners that if they didnt know, the Teryx machines have Catalytic converters at the front of the mufflers.

These CATS are actually in the END of the midpipe. They can be accessed by removing the muffler from the machine... Once muffler is removed, you can easily see the CAT. From there....you can decide its fate. You can either cut Pipe off completely, OR...gut it (get creative....a LARGE drill bit and a nice prybar will help remove the poop...)

With OEM muffler, a few folks have done some testing (actual ppl who know what they're doing..) and have reported that there were absolutley NO mapping issues for the OEM fuel injection system when the cat was removed. The Teryx has O2 sensors in the midpipe so it adjusts its fuel/air ratio as needed.

One owner tested it with the "Muzzy" exhaust system and stated that "upto 40mph" the OEM Fuel injection system was stable, but after 40mph, an aftermarket fuel mapping system was needed (Power Commander)

So....why gut it eh?

No REAL horsepower has been noticed by this mod, however it DOES cut down on a little bit of the rear cab heat from what ive read. Makes sense, the end of muffler is about where the cup holders for rear passengers are. If you've ever tinkered with CAT's, you know as well as i do, they burn un burned exhaust gas, and create some crazy heat.. (Pour coolant into one, and then install it on a car...it'll turn cherry red and bend in half.. LOL)

So, Have fun if you DO decide to remove it. Hope i was helpful!

Piston Honda likes this.
  2. mtimesplitter167

mtimesplitter167 Mike SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2012 ranger 800 xp le

Wags why wont the o2 sensor compensate for the muzzy

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Chop it off, weld in a pipe throw the cat in the corner just in case. Exhaust backpressure is bad long term

Limo Driver likes this.
  4. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Low Cost Modification that solves future issues! Thanks for sharing. Government can make these meet emission standards, while outlawing them for street use!

Limo Driver and DieselFume like this.
  5. pyromedic

pyromedic SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger 570 FS

Good Info WagZ. If It was my choice I'd gut it. Reason? Should there ever come a time when visual inspections were required before going into national forests or state parks no one would be the wiser to the mod. Our government grows every day it seems, and ever more regulations keep coming down the pipe. If Cats are required on some UTVs now it's likely that one day there will be a move for enforcement at the user level just as there is for drivers of cars, particularly as the number of UTV users rises and the sport becomes more popular. There will always be some bureaucrat trying to ruin the fun or make an issue of it for political gain.
    Some street bikes are now equipped with Cats and people are gutting them as well, and getting performance improvements. From the outside a carefully gutted cat is almost indiscernible from a stock unit.

WagZ likes this.
  6. WagZ

Side X Side(s):

2016 Teryx4 LE

If i had to guess as to WHY they have cats, my theory is this..

We all know how polaris likes to lean their machines out from the factory to meet EPA regulations.. My assumption is kawi knows the procedure of leaning an engine is BAD! So...they leave em run rich and dirty, then clean up the final product with a catalyst. Thats my guess as to why they install em. And FWIW, they're very easy to pull the muffler and gut it.. i helped do this not to long ago.

Not real sure as to why it wont compensate, it may be due to is stock programmed limitations. It prolly only has certain parameters that it'll operate within, id say the open, unrestrictive muzzy exhaust probably allows to much air through the exhaust and intake, thus creating a "Lean" condition. Those are just my assumptions however. i could be totally wrong?

7. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

WagZ, you could be totally right also!

WagZ likes this.
  8. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Might want to check the scrap price on the cat..

9. WagZ

Side X Side(s):

2016 Teryx4 LE

normally i would, but its so small on these things its basically useless to scrap folks. also, it'd have to be swept into a bag. might weigh a half pound or so once its out. lol

10. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Might want to sweep it into a bag, cat's have precious metals, heck most of the scrapers around here will pay $75 or more for one off a car...

WagZ likes this.