1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Teryx DIY Difflock Speed Limit Bypass

Discussion in 'Teryx Nation' started by Kb3, Feb 26, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Kb3

Kb3 Kenneth SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 T4

First I should explain this was done on a 2016 T4, but I believe this should work for at least back to a 2014. Before that I'm not sure I haven't personally seen those machines. Also there is a risk of you damaging your ecu if you wire this incorrectly. Let me be clear IF YOU CROSS YOUR 4WD AND DIFFLOCK WIRE COMING FROM THE ECU YOU WILL DAMAGE IT. PLEASE test your work. I will go over how to check it.

This works by tricking your ecu into thinking it's in a different position by swapping the wires that provide feedback to the ecu. Here's how. When you turn the 2wd switch on the dash to 4wd or difflock it sends a signal to the actuator to move to that position. The actuator tries to move for a few seconds and if it can't get into 4wd or difflock that's when your screen flashes back and forth telling you there's an error. If it gets in then all you see is the 4wd or difflock indicator on the dash telling you its good to go. The part that tells the ecu it's good to go or not are the three posts coming off the back of the diff. Inside the diff each post has a switch that goes to ground. Whichever position you are in is what closes the switch while the other two are left open. The wires that connect to those posts constantly put out 12v. So the wire that completes its path to ground is how the ecu knows the diffs position.
    20170225_165010.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-26-16-16-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-26-16-13-20.jpg
    This what you are looking for on the diff.

With that out of the way let's begin. You will need two SPDT relays, 14-16 awg wire (having 4 different colored wires will make it a little easier, but not necessary), male and female bullet connectors, female spade connectors, and a switch (the switch I used is a SPDT latching push button, but a SPST switch can work as well. Optionally I use a product called ox-guard on my electrical connections. You don't have to or you can use something equivalent.
    Screenshot_2017-02-13-17-09-51.png Screenshot_2017-02-13-17-09-31.png
    These are what I used. I got the connectors from Walmart and the ox-guard from Lowes.

So let's clear up the wire colors. The reason I said 4 colors makes it easier is becausing you essentially have 4 different circuits. Your positive, negative, 4wd, and difflock wires.
    20170215_155441.jpg 20170215_155428.jpg

So let's start with the power wire. It's going to come off the battery to what's called the pole of the switch on mine it was labeled C. After that start a new wire from the N.O. (normally open) part on the switch. It then gets jumped to the + on the switch for the LED and both 85 terminals on the relays. That finishes the power wire. DO NOT JUMP C DIRECTLY TO ANY OTHER CONNECTION. IT ONLY CONNECTS TO THE BATTERY. ANY OTHER CONNECTIONS COULD FRY YOUR SWITCH.

The ground wire comes from the battery to the - for the LED on the switch and the jumped to the 86 pins on both relays. That finishes the ground wire.

On to the relays. I suggest labeling each relay one 4wd and the other difflock.
    Starting on the 4wd relay go from the 30 pin of the relay and use a male bullet connector to attach to the 4wd ecu wire (it's the black with blue stripe with a #2 label on the middle terminal of the diff) Then with the 87a pin of the relay run a wire from there with a female bullet connector to the middle (4wd) terminal on the diff.

The difflock relay is just the opposite of the 4wd. The 87a of the relay gets a male bullet connector and plugs into the difflock ecu wire (black with orange stripe and a #3 on the top terminal of the diff. The 30 pin gets a female bullet connector and connected to the top terminal of the diff.

Lastly you should have both 87 pins of the relay left open. Just simply jump them together.

To check your work unplug both 87a and 30 pins of both relays. You also need to be hooked up to the battery for this to work. With the switch off use a multimeter check for continuity across the 87a and 30 pins of the 4wd relay and then the difflock relay just the same. There should be no continuity across the 30 pins at this time. With the switch on check for continuity across the two 30 pins of the relays. There should be no continuity across the 30 and 87a pins now. If you don't have a multimeter harbor freight sometimes gives them away with a purchase or has them cheap. 7 Function Multimeter

To use this put your teryx in difflock. Then push your button and your diff light should go out. That's it. To go back is just the opposite. Push your button and the diff light should come back on and the shift as normal.

rockerswitch.jpg
    Here's another switch that would work. Where mine is C this says power. My N.O. is ACC here. My - is ground here

20170225_164523.jpg
    The female bullet connectors will need the plastic trimmed flush to the metal connector like these.

20170225_154955.jpg
    I chose this location and color so I would see it and remember to shut it off. I don't recommend running around in difflock especially at high speeds for long time periods.

Richard Davidson likes this.
  2. Kb3

Side X Side(s):

2016 T4

Also need to add the check you do with the relay mainly checks that the relay will function as it should. Be sure to double check that your wires from the ecu and diff are in their correct positions. I would just trace the wires for that.

3. WagZ

WagZ WagZ SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 Teryx4 LE

Awesome!! Good work Kenny!!

Kb3 likes this.
  4. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

Great write up! Welcome to sxs nation

Kb3 likes this.
  5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Very nice write up Ken! That will be helpful to a lot of Kaw owners.

Kb3 likes this.
  6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Wow, lots of information in that post! sure going to be helpful to alot of people!

Thanks for sharing Ken!

Kb3 likes this.
  7. Curt

Curt Administrator

Great writeup!!!!

Kb3 likes this.
  8. Kb3

Side X Side(s):

2016 T4

Thanks everyone! When it warms up I might do a few More Diy writeups. I have several more and a windshield project coming up.

WagZ and Seastacker like this.
  9. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Keep them coming Ken!

Kb3 likes this.
  10. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Great post! Easy to follow, and understand.

Kb3 likes this.