1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a side by side ATV

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by mkp777, Nov 29, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Rookie

I know nothing about these.
    I just know I don't want a slow one.
    I need something that will work in snow and in hard scrubby terrain of eastern, WA. It gets hot here in summer.

I've looked at Polaris RZR's, Textron Wildcats and Can Ams.

I don't know what to look for and what features I need. I have very steep hills on my property, lots of big rocks, unimproved roads and trails around the property.
    My wife wants a 4 seater and I feel like a 2 seater would suffice since its just her and I.

I signed up in the forum to get some guidance for a purchase.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Mike

DieselFume likes this.
  2. Bigdeer2000

Bigdeer2000 Todd Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

, Kubota 1100x, 1968 m274 military mule

I have a Polaris ranger northstar 2 seater that will go 60+ and is very capable off road. Northstars come with heat and a/c and can be had in 2 or 4 seat models.

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the site Mike !

no matter what you end up with you will love the side X side thing I would drive all and that will make it easy to decide they all have there goods and bads comes down to what you want. My recommendation would be look at and drive a General . They have lots of go and also will work hard and come in 2 and 4 seat sort of a between the race and work. others will point out there likes as well. Drive as many as you can you will know what you like when you find it!

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Mike,
    If this were 5 years ago, you would have an easier choice. 1 or 2 would have floated to the top pretty fast. These days, we are really lucky as consumers and have a huge choice of great machines. To make this as simple on yourself as possible, I would determine if you want a pure sport (examples: RZR, Maverick, YXZ) or a cross over machine (General, Commander). It sounds like the work tilted machines are out for you (although some of those are not slow by any means and perform quite nicely). Once you have that and finish negotiating with the Mrs on 2 or 4 seat, we can give you a little better direction. Also, I think Ronnie gave the best advice any new person can get....go drive them at your dealer. You may find pretty fast that the fit, size, noise or general feel of a certain machine is not for you. Another consideration is dealer support. Do you have a bunch of dealers fairly close by? Last thing you want is a machine that may need some sort of parts, service or recall work and the closest dealer is hours away!

5. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

Polaris Rangers have served me well over the years. I prefer the ones that seat 4-5, because of grandkids, dogs and, most importantly, it is nice to introduce new people into the sport. Taking new people for a cruise on the trails is a great way to get them into the world of side x side riding. This group is an excellent place to help you research the machine that will. best suit your needs. Lots of good people here and they will soon make you feel welcome!

Ken likes this.
  6. Curt

Curt Administrator

I’m going to suggest the General myself. It’s sporty while still having a little work in it. It’s really comfortable and easy to get in and out of. The 1000 engine runs great.
    That being said there’s a lot of great machines that will make you happy. I’d suggest sitting in and driving as many as you can. Decide if you need a bigger bed, a dump bed, or a small bed. Do you want to drive pedal to the metal, fast sometimes or just cruise. These are things you need to know to make a good decision.

7. DogRunner2

DogRunner2 Brian SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR 900s

If you want performance look at a sport SxS.I had a Ranger before I got into RZR's and there is no comparison.

Seastacker likes this.
  8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

True. The cross over machines are getting in the ball park though. I have a General and it performs pretty well. Just don't get a Ranger and expect it to perform like a RZR!

DogRunner2 likes this.
  9. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

And some prefer a dependable, hard working machine for both work and play. We have all kinds of great members, and fortunately all kinds of sxs machines to choose from when buying.

10. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

I have owned several Polaris Rangers over the years. The best one has been my 2013 Ranger XP LE with now 1500 hours and nearly 14,000 miles. We use it on our place for work and play. It has really been a bullet proof machine with hardly any warranty issues in the over 5 years we have owned it. Neighbor bought a 2018 General 4 that my wife fell in love with. The General is a cross over RZR SUV, but is made to offer some utility for other things around our place. The ride, power, room and bucket seats are awesome for operator comfort is superior over the Ranger. We bought a 2018 General 4 (kept the Ranger) and now have over 2000 trouble free miles on it. Moreover, when it comes to servicing the Polaris Ranger or General they are so much easier to service than the John Deeres, Can Ams, Honda's etc. that i have worked on for others. The dealer net work and after market parts and accessories for the Polaris Ranger and General is the best out there. Consider what you think is best for you and enjoy the moment! :)

Rockin Ronnie likes this.