1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Tilt angle

Discussion in 'General Nation' started by mkp777, Jun 7, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Rookie

My General 4 1000 came with a tag on it that said 37.0.

I'm told that is about the maximum tilt it can take before rolling over.

Is that true?
    Is the 37.0, is that degrees of tilt?

When I was in the Army, I had to learn to drive LMTV's. They had a gauge in them. If it got into the 'yellow' area, it meant you were in danger of rolling it over when sidehilling.

So whats the deal with the 37.0?
    Is there a gauge I can put in this Polaris General that will let me know when I'm getting close to a rollover if it gets laterally tilted too much?

I am too inexperienced with side by sides to judge correctly if I'm tilted too much and in danger over a roll over. I don't want to roll it over.

Also, anyone with a General 4 know how steep of a hill I can descend down without getting into trouble? There is some very steep terrain around here.

I sure appreciate any advice. I will not push envelopes at all, I don't want to roll it. But I'm sure there is more it is capable of than what I'm doing with it.

Thanks so much for any advice,

M

2. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Yes, that is a new government mandate. The side tilt stability is tested on a flat table with two 'standard' people (two or three seat models) strapped in and tilted until the inside tire lifts.
    Of the tags I have seen the low has been the Wolverine X4 with a low 33.x up to around 43 for some of the wide sporty models. The 900 Ranger is 38.8 and the usual range for the utility types meaning the Pioneers, Teryx and Mule and the rest of the manufacturers are generally in the range of 36-38 for the full size standard width.
    33.0 is the minimum to pass from what I have read.
    I think these tags are supposed to be on all vehicles but it appears as some dealers forget to attach them.
    There are several tilt gauges available for vehicles. Some of the GPS programs have them included for both front and rear and lateral.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  3. mkp777

Does it equate to angle in degrees?

4. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

We just ordered a new fire truck and the contract has a half dozen pages dealing with this......government regs....

6. mkp777

Where's a good place to shop for a gauge like this?
    I'd prefer something physical that didn't work off GPS. This way if I don't have reception, I can still know.

7. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Tilt Gauge | eBay
    There are also other places to buy.
    Just do a search for 'tilt gauge for vehicles' 'clinometer' or 'inclinometer'..

8. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition