1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Tire Pressure Questions

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Jaybey, Apr 12, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Time to revisit the tire pressure questions.
    I just put Kanati Mongrels 27" on my 2015 Ranger 900 XP from Discount Tire one of our sponsors. When they installed the tires the pumped the tires up to 20 PSI. It seems very high and the ride is very hard. On my second ride I dropped them down first to 18 PSI and about two hours later down to 15 PSI.

My question for is two fold first what PSI are you running in your tires? Second what tires are you running?

DieselFume likes this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

The probably inflated them to the max on the sidewall when they mounted them. I think you will find most people will be between 10-15PSI. This of course depends on the tire and terrain.

3. Curt

Curt Administrator

AS Carl said between 10-15 psi. Most run on the lighter side. I'm down to 11 psi in my Crawlers. Pressure makes a big difference in ride. @Dave runs the mongrels and may have some input.

4. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I run 7.5-9 psi in my 27" 8 ply radials.
    The rated weight is 440 pounds each at 7 psi so they are good at the pressures I run for my 900 Ranger.

5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

From talking with green Ball Corporation about this before, the reason that they inflate tires to Max spec after mounting is so that the tires can fully stretch out and become fully round before being put to use. Also helps to seat the beads fully before they are normally deflated to around 10 to 15 psi. It is common practice at most tire shops I have been around at least for ATV and UTV Tires. You did nothing wrong by deflating them to your appropriate pressure. From what green ball told me, it is best when the tires are first mounted to inflate them to Max Pressure spec, and let them set at least overnight, with no weight on them. 24 hours is better before deflating and mounting.

As you know, preferred air pressure depends a lot on the machine the weight of the machine, and the type of riding you're doing, not to mention the type and ply rating of the tire. For me in most situations with 6 to 10 ply tires I will run around 12 to 15 psi. 10 psi and under I seem to notice more we're on the tires and premature failure from too much sidewall Flex. But for myself a average set of tires usually will run out to 7000 miles at least

Seastacker likes this.
  6. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

It sounds like I did it right then. I kept them at 20psi for about two weeks and ran about 125 miles. Lowered to 18 psi for about 10 miles then down to 15 psi. They still seem to ride a bit rough but that is the 10 ply working.

7. Curt

Curt Administrator

I'd consider taking them to 11 pounds. It made a huge difference in the ride on my General going from 14 to 11.

tldrigg likes this.
  8. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Curt, Did you get a lot os side wall flex at 11 psi?

9. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

I contacted Kanati and got this in reply:
    In response to your inquiry on the recommended tire pressure for the Kanati Mongrel. It’s important to remember that different variances of air pressure, will also affect your vehicle responsiveness and stability. Before you make a decision on air pressure, let’s start by going over a few things.

A few things to know about your air pressure:

• Driving Habits - The type of terrain you will be traversing and conditions of road surfaces has to support the PSI you choose.
    • Driving Terrain - Smooth paved roads, jagged edges or rugged terrain. Tires perform differently under different conditions. Make sure the PSI is suited for the Job.

Furthermore, we recommend following the guidelines illustrated by the vehicle placard for the correct PSI for your ATV/UTV.

TIPS to remember on air pressure.

By decreasing the air pressure, you allow the tire room to expand during steep grades or conform to rocky surfaces easier. Do not underinflate, or drop more than 6 pounds below listed PSI.

While on the other hand, if you spend more time on a solid roads, it’s good idea to maintain a firm tire pressure around 16-18 psi. Again, the tire pressure should be in line with the application the tires are being used for. Typically, it is also a good idea to have more pressure up front to prevent the bead from slipping during aggressive turns or advanced maneuvers.

As stated previously, this is entirely up to the driver. No two drivers are alike so driving habits and wear patterns will differ. A good tip it is to decrease your air pressure gradually and place the tires in operation before you settle on a stable PSI, noting performance, handling, cornering, etc.

NOTE: The maximum pressure listed on the tires sidewall is what they are rated up to support. IT IS NOT the maximum air pressure approved for your vehicle. You should always refer to the Vehicle placard for correct PSI for your tires. Running tires over-inflated will cause uneven wear on the tread, damage to crown, possible blowout, and severe overheating.

10. Curt

Curt Administrator

I can't exactly see the tire from inside the vehicle, but it still handles great. It just rides a lot better. I do have Crawler XR 32" tires.

11. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with sidewall flex, I run Crawler XG's at 8-10 psi (on beadlocks) and even on a 2700 lb machine sidewall flex isn't an issue, they hardly even compress any at static load. I rock crawl a lot, so sidewall flex is usually a good thing to me anyway. For your situation, on non bead lock wheels, i'd say 11-12 is the sweet spot, but i wouldn't go higher than 14 at all.

rocksalot and Seastacker like this.