1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Tracker 500S / Kymco issue

Discussion in 'Kymco Nation' started by Starfire, Jun 3, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Starfire

Starfire Scott SXS Nation Rookie

Hi all.. new to the forum and recently purchased a Tracker 500S which is a rebadged Kymco 450. Problem is it overheated first time I took it out for longer than a 15 or 20 minute ride. It has only 4 hours on it and I've kept it at half throttle or less following the break-in procedures. Rode it for about 25 minutes on back roads varying the speed. We stopped and shut off the vehicle and wouldn't start. The display showed the temp gauge pegged fully hot. Waited about a half hour and it started and rode back home. Temp gauge read about 1/3 to half way on guage along the ride. When I shut it off and turned the ignition key just to light the guages it again was reading hot. Not all the way pegged but more than 3/4.
    I took it back to Bass Pro and am waiting to hear back. The coolant level was full so maybe just faulty thermostat.
    At any rate I'm concerned about the engine being overcooked during break in and wonder what long term effects it might have. I'd like for them to give me a new machine but doubt that will happen unless they find something seriously wrong.
    Bummed out because I have a new machine that's sitting in the shop. Just wanted to get your all's thoughts and how I should handle it with the dealer.

Thanks for letting me rant!

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I have a 2015 model that overheated on a couple ocassions due to bad fuse for the fan. These are tough engines, made to be run hard, I doubt you caused any issues as long as you didn't keep riding when it was boiling. It was boiling yes? If not boiling it might be a faulty gage. Mine boiled, waited for a cool down, added more coolant and on my way. Took me a while to realize the faulty fuse, they will get hotter when you stop and shut them off, as long as they cool back down when underway. Is the fan comming on?

3. Starfire

Thanks for your reply and no it wasn't boiling over, it simply wouldn't start after I shut it off. It wasn't reading hot when I was driving it..only when I went to try and start it and was pegged hot. When I turned the ignition, the fan was running. So no I didn't drive it while hot or overheating but my friend who has a Honda remarked that it was hot inside the cab before all that happened
    Dealer THINKS its a faulty sensor and still waiting on the part.
    I hope they get this solved soon..I really like the machine and can't wait to get past the break-in period to see what she can do.
    Another side item is that the Trackers come with a standard 18 mos warranty. I can add an additional 4 years for $750. I might see if they can come down to say $500 on the warranty based on what happened. That would give me a full 5 1/2 years worth of warranty.

Thanks again!

4. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yes they do get hot in the cab, not much to stop the heat from radiator getting in the cab, then your sitting on the engine! If your moving it is ok but when you stop, the heat can build fast.
    Your problem does sound like a bad gage, as long as that fan kicks on and your coolant is full your good. When they do overheat, you can easily hear them boil over. Watch for mud build up in the radiator if you ride in mud as that can cause cooling issues.
    Not a bad deal for the extended warranty as long as everything is covered. My only issue has been the speedometer stops working in the summer heat, rest of gauges work just the speedo, sensor costs about a hundred bucks, not sure it is with replacing, I have a GPS that tells me how fast I am going if I really need to know. Other than that, no issues in 5 years, warranty would be a loss in my case but one never knows!

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Wondering if they didn't get all the air bled out of the system?

6. Starfire

We'll see...still waiting on the dealer. Painful.. new bike and can't ride. They still think sensor. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for your replies!

7. Starfire

Ok update..got it back..yeah! Absolutely love the machine. Quick nimble and responsive even at less than full throttle. Going to honor the 10 hour break-in and can't wait to see what she'll do after that. Well they replaced the sensor and burped the system. It didn't overheat but temp gauge still reads between half to 3/4 hot when riding under low stress or when parked after riding. One time it didn't want to start right away after being parked for about 10 minutes. But it did eventually start.
    Curious if these readings are normal?

Thanks!

8. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Getting hot when you first stop is normal, you auto does the same thing, should return to normal range within minutes after restarting. If the radiator is not boiling and your fan comes on when needed, it is probably a junky gage. My 450i just has an idiot light, no gage.

9. Comrad

Comrad david SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Comrad650 4x4

Sounds like a faulty thermostat, replace it.
    I'm not sure it will fit in backwards prob not. Good luck

10. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

On my machine, really firm pressure has to be applied to brake pedal before starter will engage. When you say not starting, do you mean no starter engagement or engine turns over but not running?

11. Starfire

It'll turn over but won't fire. Still have some doubts... Kinda wished they replaced the thermostat too. I haven't ridden it in a couple of weeks but plan on giving it a go this weekend. I'll go on a little longer ride..got about 7 hours on it now. Want to get to 10 so I can run it a little harder to see what happens.

12. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

The gauges are quite cheap, they are on most gauges and usually not real accurate. If it bothers you buy an actual temp gage (a good one) and install or get a handheld temp gage so you can check on it ocassionally. As long as your fan is cycling I wouldn't get to excited about it...mine is only an idiot light and as long as fan cycles and it doesnt boil, I don't worry about it. The issue of not starting would be a much bigger issue!

13. Starfire

Well it did it again.. temp gauge showed hot and wouldn't start for 15 minutes. Not as long too cool down as last time. Again under a light load and half throttle..BPS says take it back to service center. Brand new machine and in the shop twice now for same problem. Still with only about 7 or 8 hours on machine. Aggravating.. I am going to ask them to swap me for a another one but doubt that will happen. We'll see.

14. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

You might have to ride around at the service center to make it get hot and stall so they can check it out when it happens. Tough to find a problem until it happens in front of their faces