1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Trade in advice

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Piston Honda, Jun 22, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

If you were going to trade-in your SxS for new, would you return your SxS to original condition? Remove accessories, etc? Are there any accessories you leave on to help the trade-in value?

I'm thinking about leaving the factory windshield and soft roof, but keeping everything else for the next machine. Keeping - winch, light bars, wheels/tires, stereo, plow, and other stuff.

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Man, I have thought about this a lot lately since I am also getting close to an upgrade. The accessories are probably not going to add a lot to trade in value, probably pennies on the dollar (even less than they add to a private party sale). I would take off what I can use on the next machine, but that boils down to very little for me. Assuming I get another Polaris, I can re-use my tool box and chain saw scabbord. My wheels and tires wont fit my next machine due to the wheel stud size. My plow will require a new mount at least, but is also only 60" wide which will not be great for the newer wider machine. I may be left with the push tube I can re-use, but that renders the other parts basically worthless. I will keep universal parts like the two way radio, light bar, etc. With all that said, I have come to the conclusion I will sell the machine private party pretty much as it sits less a few things I can re-use. I figure 25% or so of new cost on accessories. The other option would be to return it to stock for trade in and sell the accessories outright if they wont work on your new machine.

Piston Honda likes this.
  3. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

Private party sale is always best, but sometimes I don't want to deal with it so I'm considering both. I'm having the same thoughts with the plow @ only 60" and 60" machines. Part of me is thinking 'close enough!' :) If I go with the Yamaha I can re-use my wheels and tires... same bolt pattern and tire size. That's actually influencing my purchase decision.

Thanks for the feedback. It's helpful to know we're thinking the same things.

4. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

The wheels will probably work okay with new larger lug nuts.

I have two sets of aftermarket beadlock wheels that I used on older Polaris rigs and they both work fine on my 900 Ranger with the lug nuts that use the special small diameter socket. STI I think.

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

They may, but the mid size ranger has a much smaller diameter lug than the newer/ bigger machines so I assume there would be some fitment issue. It has the same hubs as the sportsman quads. On top of that I will be going to a bead lock and 30’s very likely. So even if the wheels would technically work, they would no longer suit my needs.

6. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Yes, 3/8 vs 12 mm which isn't all that much. The holes in the wheels are usually large enough for the 12 mm studs.
    The wheels I have on my 900 ranger with 12 mm studs came off a mid size Ranger with 3/8 studs.

7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Private party sell is always best for money made. downside is how long do you want to set on it? maybe it will come down do you need to sell it to get new or can you get new and then sell your old one!

Piston Honda likes this.
  8. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Wheels off my 09/700 would not fit my 16/900 without drilling the rim, something I was not willing to do.

Around here unless you got a low mile/hour rig it's doubtful the dealer will even want it, most people he gets turn up there lip on just about anything over 2500 miles, they are usually there to buy new anyways. He did tell me once that add-ons are figured 20% of new, and most people think there rig is worth more then it actually is.

Seastacker and Piston Honda like this.
  9. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

Until I can get a new garage built, I need to get rid of it to make room for the new one. Plus, I'm sitting on a truck and a boat I need to sell. Anyone looking for an F150 or 15' Sea Doo? :)

10. rjoy90

rjoy90 Richard SXS Nation Rookie

I had a 2013 commander xt 1000 with 771 miles on it and with a lot of extras. Dealer wanted to give me 7k for it. I ended up selling it for 11k private sale. Now I'm undecided on what to get. Private sale is always gonna be better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Curt and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  11. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Richard!