1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Trail Etiquette - 15 THINGS EVERY 4X4 AND OHV ENTHUSIAST SHOULD KNOW

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Jaybey, Feb 11, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

1. Stay on the existing trail.

2. Don't be a slob. HAUL IT IN - HAUL IT OUT!

3. Don't be destructive.

4. Save the booze for camp.

5. Burn it right or don't burn it at all.

6. Pull over for faster moving traffic. Remember traffic priority, hikers, equestrian then motorized traffic.

7. Relax and enjoy the ride.

8. Vehicles traveling uphill have the right of way.

9. Always keep an eye on the vehicle behind you.

10. Use hand signals.

11. Turn off your bright lights.

12. Leave Gates as you find them. If a gate is open, leave it open, if you open a gate, CLOSE THE GATE.

13. Try to be self-sufficient.

14. Keep the dust down.

15. Have common courtesy for other adventures.

Full content of the above listing can be found at: Arizona Backcountry Explorers - Arizona Backcountry Explorers: Let's talk about trail etiquette

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    RWB713, Oldguy, wgarcar1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

All great advice!

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I was not aware of the up hill right of way. Makes sense, I had just not heard it before.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

This one is pretty important-

Coming from a guy who has livestock on federal (BLM) land, just because a trail goes through a pasture doesn't mean that the pasture (grass) isn't leased out to another individual and it's very important that the gates are left as you found them!

Oldguy, wgarcar1 and Quaddin4real like this.
  5. fpoole

fpoole FRANK SXS Nation Rookie

Seattle, WA but Full Time RV'er for 4 yrs
    Side X Side(s):

previous, RZR XP1k, ACE 900 Currently an '19 RS1

... and Music...

Not everyone appreciates a 'Sound Blaster' that echos from mountain to mountain, so turn it down when stopped or in a group... get head phones...

DieselFume likes this.
  6. tims900xp

tims900xp Tim SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Ranger 900 XP LE

Here in Arkansas we have several multi-use trails where you have atv's,utv's and horses. We always pull over and stop the engines so we don't spook the horses.

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I’m going to pin this list. There are a lot of new riders out there and these are all good rules to abide by.

Oldguy likes this.
  8. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2018 polaris ranger 900 XP

You forgot :
    DON'T TEXT AND RIDE.
    DON'T HAVE A YELL/FIGHT.
    HANDS IN AT ALL TIMES.
    DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THE MACHINE WHEN IN SHIFT WITH THE ENGINE ON.
    CORRECT SAFETY BELTS FOR KIDS.
    IF THE ROTTWEILER WANTS TO DRIVE YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT ANYWAY, LET IT DRIVE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DieselFume likes this.
  9. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2018 polaris ranger 900 XP

I have a problem with #10, since I ride slower than others people will start flipping me the bird.
    That's a hand signal lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  10. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

This should probably be added to the Trail Etiquette post? NEVER RIDE ALONE!

I am guilty over and over again. I don’t have any riding friends in the local area so I am forever going out alone. It has bit me in the ass a number of times, sometimes in day light and sometimes at night.

One night I broke a tie rod a few years back and had to limp back. I had to stop every 50 to 100 yards to straighten the wheel out, one rattle snake was not happy with me being close to him. Then get a ride to my truck. Additionally, I needed help loading up. I’ve blown belts about 6 times when alone, thank God I had spares.

Then three weeks ago on a solo ride I blew the primary drive on my clutch. Nothing but dust and crumbs inside. Yes the belt was toast too.

On Saturday, the day before Father’s Day I had a hard stop and literally tore the passenger side rear wheel off the hub. The axel was lying on the side of the tire. It broke the brake housing and was a pain in the butt. I fought to get the lugs off the wheel while it was on the ground trying to hold it from rolling. Then I couldn’t get the axel out far enough to put the castle nut back on.

It appears the castle nut never had a cotter pin in it, no evidence at all.

So what do I do? I am 25 miles from home. I am all alone next to the rail road tracks and only a mile from the nearest house. I called a friend. Thank God that Ken and Jordan came to my rescue. The worst part is I was running out of water and it was 100° by the time they drove 80 miles to rescue me.

By the time they got to me I had the wheel back on (sort of) and I was ready to limp (5 – 10 mph to their trailer 5 miles away.

My Ranger is at the local stealer for assessment. I figure wheel bearings, brake pad, caliper, disk and maybe an axel.

The really bad news is I will probably ride alone again.

11. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Here is something I forget fairly often. Carry a large trash bag. Why? It's not because it could be an inpromptu body bag! l use the trash bag to pick up some trail trash along the way as well as my own trash. If you HAUL IN IT - HAUL IT OUT!