1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Trailer Disconnect Message

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Jaybey, Mar 25, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

My new Ford F150 has been giving me fits for 18 months.
    May have finally resolved the trailer disconnect issue. Talked to a trailer technician at Big Tex. He told me crawl under the trailer where the electronic brakes. On my trailer it is the rear wheels only. He told me to put a splice in from the ground wire on the electronic brake to the frame. Easy way to determine which wire is with a test light rather than an ohmmeter.

I did that took a 25 to 30-mile drive not one Ding-A-Ling not one trailer brake disconnect message. I will have to do a longer drive to be sure, but I think I may hit the magic formula.

He mentioned the ground on the electronic brake is not always the best.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  2. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Good Job and fix Brother Joe! :)

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

These newer trucks can be real sensitive to that stuff. They have a light module that controls the trailer lights and brakes. I have even heard of this module not even picking up smaller trailers with LED lights since they don’t draw enough to trigger the module to know there is a trailer back there. I have a 2017 Super Duty but have never had an issue thankfully. Glad you got yours figured out!

Ken likes this.
  4. Ken

Side X Side(s):

Joe has been fighting this issue for some time. I too have a 2017 Ford F250 and I connected my truck up to his trailer and I got the same issues he was having his 2017 F150. So we knew it had to be the trailer! I am glad he was able to get to the source of the problem

5. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Crazy how many issues a bad ground will cause. I always start with grounds now when I am diagnosing electrical issues.

Mustard_RZR and Ken like this.
  6. Ken

Side X Side(s):

After much trouble shooting Joe and I came to the same conclusion. Poor crimping of wires can drive you crazy too! He found the right side brake wires to look like they were crimped only to find them loose, that alone could have caused his issue, but you are right grounds can be rather funky to sort out. All this fancy stuff on these new trucks an computer operated stuff can also drive you crazy! :)

Seastacker likes this.
  7. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Just a quick rant on this.....I love this new truck. BUT, it is smart enough to know when a trailer is there. Its smart enough to know when a trailer is disconnected. Its smart enough to do all sorts of fancy things. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY that I have to go into the trailer settings every time I unhook and select "no active trailer" to get it to stop defaulting to the towing screen and accumulating miles on that trailer log! When I disconnect it should just do this automatically. So simple and so easy to fix, but damn it drives me crazy, lol.

Ken likes this.
  8. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Carl, have you had the software updated recently. That may solve the issue???
    Also the right side rear tires with the electric brake were not just poorly crimped it look like they had been pulled apart the two wires were just dangling not touching the connectors at all.
    Also, if some does attempt this repair the wires do not matter which one is connected to the electric brake. Just use a test light to find out which is powered and ground the other one. I accidentlly, got the wrong one the first time and the truck told me I had a "TRAILER WIRING FAULT". A simple change to the other wire and my problems seem solved.
    Cross your fingers, legs, eyes, arms, etc, etc, etc.

Ken and Seastacker like this.
  9. Ken

Side X Side(s):

Carl I have the same gripe!

Seastacker likes this.
  10. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

It has been a while BUT, I finally resolved the issue. I crawled under the trailer for a third time. Guess what I found? Apparently on one of the first runs with the new truck I went over something that snagged one of the trailer brake wires and tore it loose. Put a new splice in-line and no more problems, other than the stupid truck is smarter than a box of rocks. Now it will tell me I have a trailer tail light out but when I check it later everything is working fine.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.