1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Trailer Stuff

Discussion in 'Trucks, Trailers, & RV's' started by Jaybey, Aug 14, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I am thinking it time to start a new thread about trailers where we can discuss maintenance, modifications and troubles we have had concerning our trailers. You know, those things we haul our UTVs/ATVs on.

I'll start out.
    I have a 16 foot Big Tex with electric jack and small Harbor Freight box on the front. The trailer sits out in the Arizona sun all the time and the floor boards are staring to dry out and will soon break. Has anyone found a way to preserve the floor boards?

Piston Honda likes this.
  2. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

I do not have this lumber but will on my next trailer. A buddy of mine has it on his 48 foot gooseneck. He uses it to make runs all over the United States hauling various things

It's rubber infused lumber. The stuff is awesome. He's had it on his trailer for about 6 years now with no issues. Doesn't crack and peel up. It's non skid too. Provides great traction to so when wet you and your machine won't slip or slide around

Watch all the videos they have on the website. The stuff is truly impressive and should far exceed standard lumber

http://www.blackwoodlumber.com/

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Up north here we also have snow to worry about, however, also of people use a product called "Thompson's water seal" it treats lumber so no water gets into the lumber and it contains an oil to help preserve the wood. It is thin and just gets slopped on with a roller or brush, nothing fancy just wet the wood with the product. It also has a UV protector in it, product is fairly inexpensive and goes a long ways. I have a pond with a wood swim platform that stays in the water all year long. Just row out to the raft with a roller and bucket of sealer and slot it on, good for another year. First raft deck lasted for more than 20 yrs, just replaced it with a new one last summer. Lots of exterior wood protectors out there, you have a wide choice to use.

Piston Honda likes this.
  4. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

The blackwood decking is a bit cost prohibitive at $85.00 a foot. OUCH. Used Thompson's water seal once and it was a mess and never cured properly.

5. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

It is pretty pricey. I would say someone like myself or the guy who doesn't use there trailer really that much. Let's say the weekend warrior trailer guy probably wouldn't benefit from it. But a heavy hauler runing a trailer damn near everyday would really benefit from it.

6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I'm going to give you the redneck answer and tell you that I use diesel fuel on ours..... Of course we do it in an area where the fuel that drips between the boards cannot harm any grass or plant, or pollute the ground in any way ;)

7. Pitbull_1

Pitbull_1 SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Polaris Ranger 570ms

I've been using outdoor deck stain on mine for a few years now and it seems to work pretty good. Water just beads up and rolls off.

8. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

My trailer its real simple painted the wood floor with rustoleum paint and no worries about five six years and like new so far!

9. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

When my trailer was new I did the redneck deck cover, and I have redone it every other year since but a couple of boards are still cracking. I was thinking about putting in 16 foot treated boards. Any thoughts?

10. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I wonder if that new deck coating from Rustoleum would hold up in the AZ sun.

Deck and Concrete Restore® 10X

The biggest oversight on trailers I see in my job (I work with boats/ trailers, RV's, etc) is just general maintenance. People figure if they don't use them all the time that maintenance is not needed. Tires, wheel bearings, etc. The biggest one seems to be tires. Trailers seem to come with junk China tires on them to begin with, then on top of that they are only good for 5-7 years max regardless of tread. We see a lot of tire blow outs from older or crappy tires.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  11. poorboy1964

poorboy1964 Tom SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Kymco 700 LE

Like the great Bearing buddies that people think 1 or 2 pumps of grease a year and never do anything else, inner bearing never sees grease.
    I personal don't like to treat wood unless you can do all sides it stabilizes better doing one side makes things warp as it dries out. in the Utah desert I'm in not treating seams to be best but you that have to deal with high humidity may be better off with some type of coating or trex type material

12. Curt

Curt Administrator

I'd consider getting the deck LineX'd.

13. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

I would think that would add a lot of weight.

14. Curt

Curt Administrator

I'd guess 50-100 pounds. It wasn't too bad on my RZR and my 8' bed of my truck has it on the sides and the bottom.

15. Bigdeer2000

Bigdeer2000 Todd Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

, Kubota 1100x, 1968 m274 military mule, 2020 Polaris Northstar crew

Mop on used motor oil.

poorboy1964 likes this.
  16. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

I like the idea of treating all sides of the wood bed, but that is a lot of work. You have to turn the trailer over to get to the bottom then use a little brush to get the edges too! ;);)

17. Dealn4

Dealn4 Brad SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew

What about using the Behr Deck Over to treat the wood. Thinking about using that on my trailer deck

18. Jeff frost

Jeff frost Jeff SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Polaris Ranger High Lifter

You can also apply the Thompson Water Sealer on with a Garden variety pump spray bottle no fuss no muss great for getting in nooks and crannies....

19. RetiredGuy

RetiredGuy Michael SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2020 Bennche X4 1000cc SxS

I lived in Arizona blazing heat for 5 yrs and now moved to Idaho. Going to try living in snowy winters vs hell hot summers lol.
    Anyway I bought a Rockland 17" dual axle flat bed trailer and rolled 1 gallon of Cabot wood sealant from Lowes on the top and bottom of the wooden floor planks. Had no shrink or crack issues thus far. I'm going to roll another gallon on now that the wood floor will be exposed to snow.

20. JOE YOUNT

JOE YOUNT joseph SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 POLARIS RANGER XP 900

I put used motor oil on my down here in Tucson about 6 months ago. I see signs of cracking on the new pressure treated wood.