1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Trailering

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Oldguy, Apr 1, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

I am new to the whole side by side thing and am wondering, do you guys and gals haul your machines with the windshield in place or remove it? I don't have trails close enough to drive to, I can ride the county roads, but no real trails. This site has been a wealth of good info, thanks to all of you.

2. Viking red

Viking red Rege SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Yamaha Viking

I have a roll of shrink wrap I wrap it real good get there cut off nice clean works great

Orangecrate and Piston Honda like this.
  3. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

GREAT IDEA! What about wind buffeting and bowing?

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

My full sheild will bow in pretty bad at highway speed. Mine is a fold down, so I just fold it down. My roof is a lock and ride with those quick Polaris clamps. It’s still there, but I have always been a little skeptical that I will hold on.

Oldguy likes this.
  5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Do you have a rear panel as well? I know a few guys around here with Rangers would haul their machines backwards to protect the windshields. Plus the rangers had a couple extra roll bars near the center of the rear panel to help with wind blowing Not sure on your Dominator?

Oldguy likes this.
  6. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I put on a windshield pad like RV'ers use when they tow their cars behind the RV. I tie it down around the top of the cab and under the ranger for the bottom, I also tuck a tie-down under the hood for good measure. The pad was custom made by an upholstery shop with vinal outer and 1/4" foam on the inside.

Piston Honda and Oldguy like this.
  7. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I solved that problem the easy way, just bought an enclosed trailer. Now I don't have to worry about any of that stuff and have not lost a single thing since going this way.

8. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

All great info as expected from this group. Don't have a rear panel, so thats not an issue. No extra roll bars. Love the idea of the pad, will look into that. Sorry airshot, spent all my money on the sxs, nothing left for a trailer...lol. One other option is to just take it out for hauling, not the best in my opinion. Thank you everyone

9. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I tow with my windshield and soft rear panel in place but remove the soft top because it inflates like a balloon. I put a tie strap across the middle of the rear panel to keep it from bowing out from the wind. I suppose I could do the same with the top...

I also tow with the machine facing forward so the wind blows over the top (sort of). If I had it facing backwards I would probably remove the windshield.

Oldguy likes this.
  10. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I never considered something hitting the windshield while trailering. I may need to rethink my setup.

11. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I finally just ordered a new trailer plan on doing more towing to rides this summer and in future so broke down an ordered a enclosed trailer Friday 3/30 got a legend 8.5 x18 with extra height also didn't need but got the heavy 5200# axles should be the last trailer I will ever need. cant wait never had a problem towing before on open trailer but when it rained makes a mess and hated back roads so will be Nice having enclosed! besides now I can get some SXS nation stickers from the site!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  12. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Smart move...gonna love that enclosed trailer!! I have installed things to hold all my accessories like extra flags, helmets, tie downs, even a fuel tank storage area, now when I am going someplace, I just load the UTV and head out, less chance to forget something!!

13. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Good call on the heavier axles! I think way too often people buy trailers with just enough capacity and it causes problems for them down the line...

Plus, the bigger axles might have a larger wheel/tire?

Oldguy likes this.
  14. Sponge60

Sponge60 Glenn SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR 900 Trail

I tow facing forward. Front and rear poly (Polaris brand, not that it matters). It is several hundred miles to WV from my home and at Interstate speeds. No issues.

Limo Driver and Oldguy like this.
  15. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Yes they have 6 lug not 5 and 235 not 205 and now when behind my fifth wheel will be able swap spares if needed. And wont be over loaded for what I want it for!

what I was thinking make a spot for all the things used or needed on trips or rides with the G in the trailer and will stay there! then load G and go!

Piston Honda likes this.
  16. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Richard SXS Nation Rookie

Chain O' Lakes Region of Northern Illinois
    Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris RZR 800 Pursuit

I have yet to trailer my RZR since I picked it up and not since I added the windshield, L&R Roof and L&R rear windshield but my open trailer has a 42" high stone shield otherwise I will be transporting it in my fifth wheel toyhauler.

Attached Files:

Seastacker likes this.
  17. Fritzlerco

Fritzlerco Douglas SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General

You going to pull that big trailer behind your 5th wheel too.

18. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Yes have been pulling trailers behind it for years. You just watch what you pull into and don't get into places you have to back up as that can be hard. not like backing a set of trains you have no lock for the pup.

19. Fritzlerco

Fritzlerco Douglas SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General

Yes I bought a 5th wheel couple years and pull a 14 ft alum trailer with my two atv on it. Now I have a general I'll will haul it and one atv. I measure 70 ft total . Everyone calls my a train too. Plus ,I go to short trips up in the Black Hills Sd. And where you can get fuel easy. I added a extra fuel tank last year,so that made it better. How long is your 5th wheel.

20. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Travelinman, got to measuring my Odes, I would need 7' of interior room with the light bar (factory) so to buy a custom trailer would be a spendy proposition. Think I'll just remove the windshield and soft cab for any trips for now.