1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

What Battery Charger/ Maintainer is Everyone Using?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Seastacker, Jan 27, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Ive always used Battery Tender Jr’s. They seem to work well. I have one hooked to my tractor all winter. I did upgrade to a CTek 7002 last year. I had an Odyssey battery in my Ranger. The tenders can’t charge AGM batteries to 100% (at least the basic one I have), the Ctek’s will. The CTek is top knotch and has an AGM setting along with all sorts of other features. It was able to get me another year out of an old lawn and garden battery I thought was toast with the restoration setting. So far, it seems pretty cool!

FCBF0C12-4249-4648-9A08-B17DAE1322A3.jpeg

I put the quick connect on the General.

522110DF-919B-4041-8687-1E0DF2D87D31.jpeg

2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

I have several chargers/jump starters/etc.

For maintaining batteries, I use solar power. I have a 50W panel mounted on top of my garage and a smaller 10W panel, which is mobile, to use on boats and such. It's not always practical to connect the 50W garage mounted panel to a vehicle so there is room for design improvement.

For basic charging, I have the standard issue Schumer charger we all have and a Black & Decker which I use the most.
    Amazon.com: BLACK+DECKER BC15BD Fully Automatic 15 Amp 12V Bench Battery Charger/Maintainer with 40A Engine Start, Alternator Check, Cable Clamps: Automotive

For jump starting on the trail, I use a Noco 1000 Amp. This is a truly impressive device. The battery in my F150 was smoked and this gave me 5 or 6 jumps to get to my destination and it still showed 75% charge left.
    Amazon.com: NOCO Black Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter: Automotive

Seastacker likes this.
  3. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

I used battery tender 3A
    Never had a problem [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seastacker likes this.
  4. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Ive had that NOCO jump pack in my Amazon cart for a few months. My big one that I had for years finally took a dump and would not charge. I think that little one has more CCA than the big one I used to have!

Piston Honda likes this.
  5. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I have the .5A Junior model. It works great. They just cant get to 100% charge on an AGM battery. AGM batteries have a higher fully charged voltage compared to a normal flooded battery.

wgarcar1 likes this.
  6. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

The next time I see you, you can check it out, if you don't already have one of your own.

Seastacker likes this.
  7. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I use the .75 amp tender just in winter cold months. The winch takes a lot of juice to operate plow blade while plowing snow .

Seastacker likes this.
  8. Mudder

Mudder David SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Pioneer 400, Polaris Ace 570

CTEK MUS 4.3, with dash indicator and plugs for multiple machines.

Attached Files:

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I like that dash plug.

10. Feldhege

Feldhege Robb SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris 900 S

I just added a dash mounted plug that fits the Battery Tender (or the harbor freight model) charger. That way the wife won't forget to disconnect it before driving the rzr. Just had an interesting idea, we mostly trial ride (not a lot of mud) but I wonder about mounting a small 10 watt panel to the roof of the rzr for keeping it charged. I know the radio memory circuit is wired direct and uses a small amount of power even with the key off. I would just have to protect it from trees somehow.