1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

What brand of oil/filter are you running in your Odes?

Discussion in 'Odes Nation' started by DieselFume, Jan 15, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hey Guys,

Was thinking of gathering some information for this section- Some of us are not as familiar as others on these machines, so was looking for your input. Might be a useful bit of information for other Odes owners.

What are you guys using for brand/weight of oil in your Odes SxS's? Filter? Wix or something else?

What about drain interval on these, are you guys going about 50 hours, or running them out to 100?

Post up your techniques! Pics if ya got em!

@Chick
    @Oldguy
    @Raiderdad
    @jweese1
    @robmic67
    @Odes EH
    @commadorat
    @CampnMan
    @Loz

Piston Honda, Curt and Seastacker like this.
  2. Chick

Chick Charles SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

They recommend Royal Purple, and that is what I use. I tried to find a oil filter cross, but could not. Then, I found that Odes only charges like $7 for an oil filter, so I buy them there. I have changed my oil twice, but I only have a tad less tan 50 hours on mine.

Seastacker and DieselFume like this.
  3. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

So do you run a 10w-40 then? Or is it something heavier?..I would think wix makes a filter for it, just a matter of finding out who else/what else uses that engine so a person can cross it

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Huh. Don’t know that I’ve seen an oem ever call for royal purple before. Thats cool, it’s a high quality synthetic, readily available and is probably cheaper than most branded oils (Polaris, can am,
    Yamalube, etc)
    I agree with Adam, there has to be a cross over for the filters. I can try to log onto my amsoil account tomorrow and see what they list. Although, if you have a dealer right there, $7 is pretty reasonable.

5. Odes EH

Odes EH Ray SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Odes Dominator 800 2x

For me a replacement oil filter was a PIA to find.
    Out where I am soon as I mentioned Odes machine to any ATV / UTV dealer they either defaulted to 'never heard of it' or 'oh a Chinese thing' we don't carry - didn't want to get into it.
    Only found two locations where I could go get (drive to not send to me, ya am strange like that) me oil filters and the price difference was crazy. Ended up buying a couple oil filters from the guy I bought my snow blade from, it looks exactly like the OEM one I pulled out & only cost me $7 - other seller few hours away the other way was going for pure profit and replied with a $28 - ya, uh no, go away.

ON my machine getting to the oil filter was not a simple event. Now that I know how, will not be as much as a PIA next time.

Draining the oil 1st time was a newbie move by me too. I removed the underside cover to then REALIZE that there is an opening for the drain plug. Again next oil change will be not as painful. Weight was as per my owners manual - don't have it memorized but I have a few motorized machines in my garage; push mower, riding mower, weed wacker, snow blower, two Mustangs, my DD, wife's car - oil - uuhmm ya I already have it.

6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

There's gotta be another machine out there that uses that same engine.... Should be a way to find a wix filter that will cross to it.

Where is the Odes Machine built?

7. chickpea

chickpea Nathan SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes raider 2015

A can am 800 uses the same motor an oil filter

8. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Like one of their Defender models?

9. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Well...I logged onto AmsOil and to my surprise, they did not have the Odes listed to search. They had all the bigger brands as well as Argo and Kymco listed. I was a little disappointed since AmsOil usually has most anything I have ever looked up listed. I get on there every now and again. I will check back to see if they start listing them.

10. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Well if it's true that the Can-Am 800 is the same engine Amsoil may list a filter for those?

11. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I looked up a 2015 Commander 800 and came up with this cartridge style filter. That does not seem right. For whatever reason I picture a typical spin on filter.

Snip20190120_2.png

The cost is high. WIX is really good, but that seems excessive. I also tried to look up the newest year they list for Can Am and it did not list anything for the filters. Ams must be behind on the SXS cross reference.

12. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Holy smokes batman! That's alot of coin! I think you're right, if an Odes filter is like $7, it must be a spin on.

Seastacker likes this.
  13. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Not a spin on, I paid 16 for mine at an Odes dealer.....who no longer services or sells them. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away and he said something on the lines of 0-50? Gonna be taking my machine in for other "things" when (if) it ever warms up as I am do for an oil change. I will gather as much info as possible and post it here. Thanks Dieselfume for starting this thread, could be very helpful

DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  14. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

@Oldguy So you're saying that it is a cartridge style filter/element? That's a bummer not being able to get the parts close by.

That would be great if you could gather some part numbers for the oil filter/air filter, or any other service parts that might be needed for regular maintenance on those machines. Sure appreciate you offering to do the leg work on that.

No problem on starting the thread, we'd love to gather as much information as possible to keep this Odes Nation growing. Not alot of info out there on the web that I have found, so anything we can post will most likely have a great impact for others! If you've got some Odes buddies, you should drag them over here! ;)

Stay in touch!

Seastacker and Oldguy like this.
  15. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

So I was bombing around looking for an oil filter for the Odes 800, and on this site it shows one made for all Odes 800 and 1000 models.

Does it look correct? Capture.PNG

Oldguy likes this.
  16. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

17. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

That didn't look quite right. I work out of town so I can't check at the moment. I will when I get back, I have a hard time getting pics from moy phone to load.

DieselFume likes this.
  18. Chick

Chick Charles SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

I have the Comrade, and it uses a spin on filter. I called Odes and ordered them direct. With shipping, it was about $25 for 3 of them.

Oldguy likes this.
  19. jweese1

jweese1 Jack SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Odes 800x Dominator

So the Cam-Am filter works on Odes? Hope so because NAPA and Auto Zone can both cross and get them $8 - $9.

20. jweese1

jweese1 Jack SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Odes 800x Dominator

Changed the oil in my 2015 Odes 800 Dominator. NAPA Gold oil filter #100090 works just fine. Cost me $9.46 plus tax. It is a hair longer than the Odes filter but went right in. I'm using Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for oil. Hope this helps someone.

Honor1st likes this.