1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy 1st SxS - Honda / Pioneer / ?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Bratton316, Oct 18, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Bratton316

Bratton316 Bratton SXS Nation Rookie

Hello to all from South Alabama!
    I currently have a Honda Foreman 4 wheeler and now that the kid is 2 I want something that is a little bit safer for him to ride with me. I am wanting the bed for some work around the farm, would like to be able to go on a ride if I wanted but we do not have much for trails close to me, so probably nothing extreme. Mostly just riding around the farm with no mud or any hills. It is just the wife, me and small kid so I am thinking a bench 3 seater is plenty. Also thinking i want to be in the 1000cc ish range for the towing capacity for pulling my zero turn or limbs on a trailer. I think I have limited it down to a Polaris Ranger or Ranger XP or Honda Pioneer. I looked at some Textrons but have seen some post that do not speak highly of them. The main differences I see the Polaris are belt driven vs Honda is more like a vehicle. The more I read and research the more complex they all are. Most of the reviews and comparisons I find are 2-3 years old and seems like this technology is changing rapidly like technology. I am trying to stay at or around 15k preferably.
    Thanks for any help you guys and gals can provide!

2. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

The Pioneer 1000 and Polaris Ranger are good. Two more you might check out are the Can Am defender and the Kawasaki Mule Pro FX.
    CVT's are fine, just drive them the way they are intended to be driven. Same with the Honda's computer controlled clutch. Don't slip the clutch by dragging along slow and they are fine.
    I would suggest driving them all and see what you like and want to pay. That will probably narrow the field considerably. Abernathy's in Union City TN will have very competitive prices on the Honda and Polaris and there are other dealers around you that will deal.

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  3. Bratton316

I stopped by a Honda dealership today (granted the same company owns our local Honda & Polaris stores and told them I was shopping both Honda and Polaris and the only thing they would say bad about the Polaris is the belt driven. However this same Honda dealership recently started selling a CFMoto brand which is belt driven as well. I will try to stop by Polaris tomorrow and see what they say bad about Honda. Just funny the same owner owns both sides of the market along the gulf coast.

4. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Belts are much less to replace then rebuilding that Honda mechanical transmission! Try before buy cant be said enough times...if a dealer wont allow a good test drive, find another one! Good luck in your search

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Bratton!
    Would agree 100% with above. Take whatever you like or narrow down too for a ride that will say a lot about what you like and don't. Only you know what you would like to spend. so decide your budget first then go drive as many as you can and Narrow it down with what you like and want to do with it.

Then remember to post pictures of what you end up with and enjoy!

6. Bratton316

Still searching but I keep seeing post on the units with a belt drive you have to pretty much be going a decent speed for that belt not to slip and wear out. Going slow and stopping/ starting isnt good on the belt at all. With that being said whatever I buy will have a lot of starting / stopping / traveling at low speeds in our fields with cattle. With that being the primary use am I better off with a Honda without a belt? My dealer said a extended warranty that goes for +5 years after the normal warranty is about $500 which seems like money well spent if by change I get unit that likes to have stuff break. Granted the only local dealers I have are all Halls Motor Sports which has a terrible reputation so I will probably go to the next Dealer which is about 45 min away over 10 min locally.

7. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

If you use low range when you go slow you will be fine. If you go too slow with the Honda DCT you will be slipping the clutch. With either one if you go too slow something is slipping.
    Just like the belt in a CVT, the clutches in a Honda are usually considered as wear items which ordinarily aren't covered under the warranty unless it is a factory defect.
    In my ranger 900 I can go slow enough that the speedometer doesn't even register without slipping the belt. The thing is with a belt, or the Honda DCT, when you give it throttle you need to make the tires turn, either spin the tires or make the vehicle move. If you give it throttle without the tires turning you are burning either the belt or the clutch.
    The only SXS that can be driven like an automatic in an automobile is the Honda 700 Pioneer which has a torque converter. Everything else has a clutch or cvt belt and they work like a manual clutch in an auto except the engagement is computer controlled or automatically controlled by the cvt, except for the Yamaha YXZ which has a clutch pedal. So just like a manual transmission auto a SXS has to move when the clutch or belt is engaged.
    The Ranger is the most popular SXS ever and farm and ranch users are the main customers.
    A belt costs less than $150 usually and can be changed on a Polaris quickly and fairly easily. I have used CVT's for over 20 years and have never had to replace a belt.
    So no matter which SXS you choose unless it is a Honda 700 you will have the same deal with the go slow part.

8. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Interesting....I have used my cvt belt drive machines for slow, stop/start almost daily use on my property since 2000 and have never had to replace a belt from wear. I have changed them after 2000 miles just to be safe, but old belt was always in good shape and saved as a spare. Only time I know of people having belt issues is rock crawling or heavy load towing or plowing while in high gear! Low range is designed for heavy work at slow speeds.

9. Bratton316

Thanks for the reply Airshot and rocksalot.... I just know the wife isnt going to go above 10 mph and just want to cruise around real slow.... that def is like the perfect answer to what I needed to know. I have got to find a dealer that will let me drive a polaris since I have driven the Pioneer

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  10. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

After she sees how much fun it is and how well these ride, it wont be long before putting around at 10mph will be long past!

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  11. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

When you do searching looking for problems with one brand or the other you should know Polaris out sells everyone, last I seen they have 41% of the market, more then the next 5 closest competitors combined, so your bound to see more problems with them, it's all in the numbers. I use my ranger 900 for spraying, carrying weight close to capacity with an application rate of 10mph, run, give or take, 1000miles per year and with 3500 miles still running the original belt. Key is to understand the system and get use to the way it reacts. I should also add it takes a good annual maintenance program.

12. Bratton316

What all maintenance should I expect to be doing on a side by side? Also is the maintenance about the same regardless of model or do some models require more than others?

13. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

the main ones would be the same on all models oil, filter's and fluid changes as well as checking belt if it has one.
    About the same as any other motorized machine!

14. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Wheel bearings, a-arm bushings and u-joints, good jiggle will let you know of any problems, I also remove/dissemble both clutches to clean and inspect.

15. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Welcome from So. Indiana. Sounds like you have talked yourself into a Honda and that is a very good machine. Before you buy your really need to drive as many as you can. My Side x Side has a belt drive and and three drive ranges as most do, high, low, and reverse. In low you can go as slow as you want. CVT belt drives do require the operator to understand what causes belt failure and to drive in a way that that avoids this, which is heat build up. After four years of driving my Side x Side hard I do not worry much about the belt. Happy I am that I shopped around. RM

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  16. Bratton316

Paid the deposit on a 2020 Ranger XP 1000 today. Got a dang good deal I believe. A dealer 2 hours away asked what it would take for me to buy from them over a local one and I said 1k cheaper. He said done so $14,150 OTD. Going to be next week before I can go grab it tho but I feel like a great deal!

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  17. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Congratulations. I think you will enjoy it. Looks like a great deal too.

18. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Cool glad to hear you got one looks like it will be a long week for you now!

19. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Cool...but pictures make it so ..no pics then it didnt happen!

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  20. martinbrown2382

martinbrown2382 Martin SXS Nation Rookie

Congrats man, this looks awesome.