1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

What upgrades/mods/repairs for your sxs going into winter?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by DieselFume, Nov 14, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Lots of repair/warranty work to get done on our Ranger 570s going into winter, some rear shocks, steering racks, propshafts, suspension bushings, and regular fluid maintenance, but aside from that nothing really new, how about you guys?

2. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Got an appt with Shock Therapy to get my shocks rebuilt and re valved in a couple weeks, time for a new belt too, I think that's all that's left, just got done with a ton of maintenance,upgrades and replacement stuff...tires, front diff, a-arms, bushings, steering rack, all just got done in the last month. We don't really have an off riding season down here, so I just pick stuff off all year long

Seastacker likes this.
  3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Won't really know till I get it on the lift in early spring to poke and prod but right now it'll be just normal maintenance, fluid change and clutch dissemble and inspection on the Ranger, the gators on the other hand........the list is long.

4. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Like Richard we don't really have a riding season because in Arizona it is year around. SO, maintenance is an on-going thing. Right now just trying to get a better seal on the back of the cab for dust. While doing that I discovered a hole in the 5450846 DUCT-CLUTCH, AIR OUTLET and it looks like a piece on the hard to see base of the outlet has broken off. That means pulling the clutch off to get to the inner cultch box so the screws and bolts can be removed for replacement. The hole is right at the base of the input tube and the base as well as one of the corners where the air outlet attaches to the rear clutch box.

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

YES! I have the full Shock Therepy treatment on my General and it’s awesome. After seeing what some properly set up suspension will do, it is now on the top of my list for any new machine!

The only thing I am doing this fall/ winter is installing a Kolpin plow with power angle. I hope to do a little video of the install and one of it in action later on this winter.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  6. RWB713

RWB713 Richard SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris RZR XPT4

Yup, I'm pretty excited for it. I've had the L4 spring kit for a year now and it was a huge improvement, I can only imagine the valving will be a substantial increase over that as well, plus at 2800 miles and with signs of a leaking front shock, it was time for a rebuild anyway....We're also going to Phoenix for Thanksgiving to see the wife's family, so the timing worked out great too, I actually get to swing by the shop in person to drop the machine off and pick it up the same day, which sure beats shipping shocks back and forth! It will be the first time anyone other than me has touched my machine tho, so that part is going to be a little weird lol.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  7. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

That is awesome. Shipping is a pain due to the size and shape. Setting up the ride height was far from hard, but it was a bit of a pain. It will be nice dropping off and picking up all set up. They seemed like a real professional place to deal with.

RWB713 likes this.
  8. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Regular

I'll be putting on a plow blade, I need to order it soon.

I drove it for the first time since the temp dropped from the 40's-50's to the 20's.
    Its on snow and ice now.

Weird, it slips all over the place. Either its icier than I realized or......
    My wife in our Saturn Vue AWD went down our steep winding hill without an issue. I had to really pay attention as I drove the General following her, it seemed to me like I was on ice because this General 1000 4 would drift to the outside corner or slide down the crown of the road. I was constantly correcting.

Also I noticed a bit of a sound when I put it in 4X4. I can't remember if I'd heard this sound in 4X4 before or not.
    But the sound was not there in 2WD and 1WD.

It hasn't been beaten ever, its not been even getting driven much in the past month because I was too busy. We just dipped into the 20's and its icy over packed snow.

Should I be worried there is something wrong?

Thanks,

M

9. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

My AWD makes a little bit of a noise too. My Ranger didn't do it, but my General does. It seems to be common. In terms of the slipping and sliding, I havnt had the General out in a lot of snow and ice yet, but I did add a couple sand bags to my Ranger for plowing and it made a huge difference. The dynamics on snow and ice with these machines is definitely different than a FWD car and even a RWD truck.