1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Which side by side do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Sanman, Feb 6, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Sanman

Sanman Sandy SXS Nation Rookie

Hello good people. I haven’t owned a side by side since i sold my 2007 Arctic Cat Prowler in 2012. Now I’m looking to buy another SxS. I know several people who own one, and I’m not necessarily brand loyal.... yet. I’ve done some research but need some input and options on the best SxS to buy. I live in Alabama. I love to trail ride. Mud ride. And rock crawl. So far my research has provided this IMO. Polaris Pros= Best 4x4 system on the market. Awesome suspension. Awesome power. Good ground clearance. Polaris cons= Not very reliable. Constant maintenance and or replacing parts. Terrible customer warranty service. CanAm Pros= Great suspension. Great power. Comfort and ergonomics. CanAm Cons= Price. Not very good ground clearance. Gear issues (breaking). AND I DO NOT LIKE THIER 4x4 system (visco lock). Kawasaki Pros= GREAT WARRANTY. Very reliable. Great engine sound. Good 4x4 system with locker. Kawasaki Cons= ok ground clearance. Underpowered. Stiff ride. A lot of disassembly to do maintenance. Yamaha Wolverine for some reason doesn’t really appeal to me. Don’t really like the looks or the sound. Arctic Cat offers a couple of rides I seem to like. I really like the suspension on the sport. And the 4x4 system with the locker. Not crazy about the engine sound. May be a little underpowered. The XX model seems legit. With a lot of positives. But expensive. Its a long post I know. And I apologize. I don’t mind buying used either, although I know I’ll have to be vigilant in my inspection. Any and all experiences and opinions with any of these machines is greatly appreciated guys. Thanks!

2. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

The best recommendation I can give is sit in and drive every machine you are considering. See what fits you best and go for it. Everyone will have there opinion but most are pretty bios.

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yes. 100%. You may be able to rule a couple out really fast just by driving them (seating position, ergonomics, power, suspension, noise, etc). I think they all build a great machine. Most of the weakness you read about may be there to some level, but is usually amplified by the forums where problems get highly concentrated. The VAST majority of people have no issues at all. BUT, you did say that you ride a lot of mud. If that is the case, you may want to check out the mud models from Polaris (High Lifter) and Can Am (I think they designate these the MR models..? ). It may be a little easier to start w/ a machine that sits up higher, has mud tires and is snorkeled than to build it from scratch. That is unless you prefer to do that, which some do).

4. Curt

Curt Administrator

I agree that you need to sit in and drive as many as possible, and that everyone makes a good machine.
    I don't agree that Polaris are not very reliable. As with any machine its about maintenance. I rarely have issues with my RZR or my General. All makes require a lot of maintenance if you use them hard. That being said I would also consider owning any of the other brands.

5. Sanman

Sanman Sandy SXS Nation Rookie

Thanks for the input guys! Just wanted some opinions. I’ve been leaning towards a RZR High Lifter for a while now. It seems to offer everything I’m looking for. I know people ride their machines differently, and maintain their machines differently. Which can result in radical differences in their opinion of “quality” and “durability”. I got a little nervous when reading multiple complaints about Polaris’s warranty coverage. Or lack thereof. Nonetheless, I think I’m leaning towards buying a newer “used” High Lifter with a factory, or extended warranty left on it. But in reality, with the exception of the cost of parts, I don’t mind doing my own work on my machines. Apparently I enjoy “working” or “modifying” them. Lol. Thanks again fellas!

Curt and Seastacker like this.
  6. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. I am like you. I sort of figure fixing them every now and again is just part of it. That is regardless of the brand. Let us know what you end up with and post some pics!

7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Sanman!

I would mirror what everybody stated drive them all you will be able to decide very easy! I have never had a problem with any Polaris I have owned cant speak about the other brands. I would think Polaris will have a mud addition General out soon!

8. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hi Sandy,

I'm a bit biased on this, since I only own polaris, but from the little bit I've been around some of the others I can tell you the polaris is the most easy to service/work on, and their parts are cheaper than everyone else. That is a factor to consider if you're going to be rock climbing and possibly breaking parts.

As for not being reliable, I really don't see that- I've heard of lots of people saying how bad their AWD system is, and all I can say is that in the last 9 rangers we've owned since 2009, I have never grenaded a CV or front diff on a ranger. Propshaft U joints wearing out is as bad as it's gotten. And that would be with approx over 140,000 miles combined riding miles on those machines.

You are right though on the polaris warranty, It's a bit sketchy. I've already had some issues getting them to pony up to claims, but they have pulled through in the end. Not sure I'd suggest getting any extended warranty beyond maybe 1 year.

I'd most likely be in the Polaris or Kawasaki camp, but then again, I'm pretty loyal to what my dealer sells because they take very good care of me.

9. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

If you do end up with a machine with an extended warranty, regardless of make, ensure the dealer you dealing with on repairs has a good record. Ask around , check the forums to get feedback on how good they are to work with and provide quality service. Some people have had issues with coverage on repairs, which occasionally boils down to the willingness and reliability of the dealer to help you through the process. Good luck with your decision.

10. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I'm reading through this and kind of thinking we don't hear much from the mud or rock guy's, maybe it's because they expect to break parts, we do hear a lot from the guy's that put all the mud stuff on because it looks cool and go trail riding. Jack it up, put on tractor tires and hit the gas in dirt and you can most assuredly screw something up regardless of what brand, well unless it doesn't have enough HP.

DieselFume likes this.