1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Which tires

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by airshot, Oct 4, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Looking to put new tires on my Kymco 450i, the original tires were Maxxis, aggressive tread, they worked very well in snow and mud. I do get up to Michigan a few times a year to ride in loose sand, which you all know robs the limited power that I have. Is there a tire that would give better flotation on the loose sand but still get me thru the mud. I am thinking a tire with a flatter foot print rather than the more rounded tire that most offroad, aggressive are designed. I guess I am looking for a tire that does everything well. Is there such a thing? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

On my Ranger I had the Highlifter Outlaw MST's. They are aggressive looking, but have a flat tread block. I really liked them for the trails. They did very well in everything including mud and snow. Worth a look anyway.

3. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I know you ride in Mich, so do they give good flotation in all that loose sand? When your tires sink in the sand it robs all your hp.

4. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yeah, no way around that with the 30 whopping HP I had on that machine. I did go to the dunes with them once and aired them down to about 3psi and they did ok. In terms of on the tails, they were way better than stock, but as you said, sand robs power no matter what. I was very impressed with them in general and was shocked with how well they did in the snow. Only drawback was with that tread pattern, they did wear fairly fast on the pavement. I guess that's the case with any soft compound off road tire though.

5. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Thanks, I guess you confirmed what I was thinking!!

6. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Regular

I need to buy tires for my General.
    Where are people finding the best prices for them? I need to probably buy them already mounted and balanced. The local tire shop around here said they don't do UTV tires.

7. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I chose my tire first. I ended up landing on the Pro Armor Crawler XG in a 30". I then shopped for that tire. I ended up getting them as a set of 4 from E-bay for a good price. Also, with Black Friday coming up, that is a good time to shop in general. In my case I bought bead locks, so I was able to mount myself. If you are getting wheels at the same time, I know several vendors offer a wheel and tire builder tool (Rocky Mountain ATV is one).

8. mkp777

My tires are different size front to back. I'd like to get a set of wheels/tires that are the same size all the way around. I'm fine with stock height but is it OK to put the same width tire on front as is back? That means a wider tire/wheel on front than what came stock.

9. DogRunner2

DogRunner2 Brian Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2019 CanAm X3 XRC

A lot of people run same size tire on all 4 corners.Me included.That way you can rotate tires. Planet SxS (Ryan Snyder) is a good source.He'll price match. I've recently went with AMS M1 Evils and after about 600 miles I like them.

10. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yes. Mine are the same size on all 4 corners. I think the fronts are a little wider and backs are a little narrower than the stocks. I think this is a better look, makes it easier to carry a spare and even rotate the tires if needed. We ride some pavement at times and my backs seem to take a beating.

11. mkp777

Thanks guys!

12. mkp777

Did your back take a beating on pavement when using the stock tire setup? I notice in your profile pic, the General there with the white paint scheme, that's the one I have too. A 2019.
    I'm considering having two sets of tires, one for winter and then the other for the rest of the year.
    I asked about your back because my wife and I take our General into town a lot. And that includes about 30 minutes of driving on pavement each time.
    So far its only been on the stock tires.

Spring/Summer/Fall driving will be the same but most of it will be on dirt road. Its very very rural so I can go as fast as I want. Its bumpy so I'd like a tire with a softer ride if possible.

13. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I cant answer that....had the wheels and tires on the machine before it had 5 miles on it. I also had the shocks done by Shock Therepy which was a huge improvement to the ride quality. I had driven and ridden in several Generals prior to getting mine and felt the suspension was a bit stiff. What sort of air pressure are you running now? I have never used max inflation on the sticker/ manual. I tend to run down in the 12psi range which seems to be a good combo of ride, handling and stability.

14. mkp777

I will try those pressures. Did yours come with the ride command shocks. They're adjustable. I've left mine on medium.

15. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Mine came with the Fox QS3's which are adjustable to 3 positions. The spring rates were still very stiff. They also converted them over to a true dual rate set up with a cross over. I get a super soft, plush ride now. When I pass that spring, it crosses over into the stiffer one to get the good handling and performance. I would start with 12PSI and see where that takes you. Be sure you have a good low pressure tire gauge too. Its hard to set lower pressures like that with a normal range gauge.

16. mkp777

Any idea what the bolt pattern is for the wheels for these Generals?

17. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

4 on 156

18. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Well after much searching and reading opinions I am looking at the "SUNF AO33"ALL Terrain tires,, all reviews have been quite good, a knockoff of the bighorn tires but with deeper lugs, also have good characteristics for riding on pavement. Tread life has been better than many competitors...so the reviews have said....
    Before I make the final decision, anyone here have any experience with these??
    Thanks in advance......

19. mkp777

So what size tires/rims do you have on the front? I was talking to the Polaris guys and they said I can only go with about a 7 inch wide rim on front or it will rub.
    Curious if you've seen this.

20. DogRunner2

DogRunner2 Brian Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2019 CanAm X3 XRC

Most go with a 7" wide wheel.