1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Who’s getting ready for winter?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Seastacker, Nov 25, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

I got the plow and tractor snow blower out of the shed today. I plan to use the plow primarily, but figured I would also get the blower ready too just in case. I have a few more things to do yet and will update when the parts arrive. What does everyone else have going?

52BAA86B-8EE8-4CCB-BD9D-145A913B5573.jpeg A4A9A1A2-CB38-4F94-8220-8B46F7846235.jpeg A4A9A1A2-CB38-4F94-8220-8B46F7846235.jpeg

Piston Honda likes this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Getting close but not quite ready yet. I also have a snow blower for the deep drifts if we get any, otherwise the plow on the front of my UTV gets most of the work. However if this winter is like the past two winters, neither one will get used. Two winters back we had a total of 6" for the entire winter and last year I think we may have gotten 2-3", hardly worth getting excited over. Hope we do get some good snow this year as I have been having a hard time justifying the costs of the plow and snow blower to the other half.

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I really like your little Case!

My stuff is kinda ready for winter.... if it ever comes.... When it does, I'll hook up the 9' dozer blade, and get the telehandlers greased up!

Really laying out the welcome mat this year for old man winter... if he doesn't come it will mean another hard year, and alot of us out of the cattle business.... 3 years of drought in a row would be a killer-!

4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

come on guy's, I'm still moving dirt......Christmas eve will be fine, after that will put the plow on the truck and be ready to go....3-4in's every week will do just fine. Since we got the first snowfall on the 11th, Dad says that means 11 snows.

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

I just got to pull truck into Garage and up to plow and about 30 sec. hooked up and ready for what ever we get! so no real prep needed! well still need to stow barbeque grill in the shed and get snow shovel from hang spot in shed and stand at back door on the deck but with the weather we have whos in a hurry!

6. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Can’t argue that. Not a hurry, but since we are done mowing and riding, I figure I would rather be doing this stuff when it’s in the 40’s versus sub zero in a snow storm! Besides, we have the tendency to go from nice to snow storm warning around here in the matter of a few days. Would rather just be ready to go!

7. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Thanks! My dad bought it new in 1983. I remember riding on it as a kid and thought it was the best thing ever. I inherited it when he passed and did an engine overhaul and “restoration” of sorts. It still needs a few odds and ends, but it is a great machine that I plan to keep. I took my daughter for a ride on it yesterday around the neighborhood and she loved it. Third generation to ride on the old Case :)

8. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Here are today’s events so far...

Went over to my moms to drop off the brush hog off of her New Holland TC-30. Did a little loader work then dropped that. Then took a little time to get a final mow on her grass. Finally, I hooked up the rear pto snow blower. That thing moves some snow behind that tractor! She is in her 70’s, so she has a plow guy now. I just don’t have the time to get over there after every snowfall any more like I used to. I do hook up the blower so I can do a little cleaning up a few times during the winter if needed.
    D12749DB-B6FC-4467-BE7A-9706B4F0A5DE.jpeg CC0FB273-40F7-4DB4-A667-C3B7E1C74043.jpeg 1EDB7526-4584-4F5B-9FF0-DA4877227985.jpeg

Then the neighbor I bought the Ranger plow from brought over the twin to my machine so I could get the plow limit switch wiring off of it. Would have taken about 10 minutes but I ended up cleaning up and fixing some other wiring that was a mess. Guy he bought it off of apparently just twisted wires together and shrink tubed them. Lots of loose and poor connections under that hood. I prefer to solder when I can, but we ended up pulling all the bad connections and using butt connectors then re- shrink tubed everything.

3F37B0C6-5CB6-4E95-80F4-A3FC532407E6.jpeg
    3D12CCE6-54B1-43DA-81EF-7CC27265C4BA.jpeg

9. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Who says we are done riding?? Just went for a ride the other day to check out the neighborhood. Heck winter riding is fun, just gotta dress warm!!

10. Pitbull_1

Pitbull_1 SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Polaris Ranger 570ms

What's this winter thing you speak of?

11. Curt

Curt Administrator

I’m trying not to use the words winter or snow. Maybe it will go away........

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  12. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

So far its working!!! temps have been good and no white stuff

The bad is I think its coming

13. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I moved the plow and other winter equipment to the front of the shed but that's about it. I haven't even put the boats away for the winter yet. They're winterized but still under cover in the yard. I think I may be pressing my luck. :)

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  14. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Pretty well set now. I got the limit switch wired in. Removed my main winch line and installed a short plow line. Also installed the roller fairlead from @MotoAllianceJen. I put the full EMP windshield and canvas back on as well. Also cranked my rear shocks up to the max (been saggin lately) and added 120 # of tube sand. Thinking I am going to order a spare contractor for the winch as well. It was clicking a couple times when I went to lift the plow. If it’s gonna fail, I know it will go during a big snow storm.

7A0DDEF6-9F70-4A64-BBFD-33A019819C7E.jpeg 4B7AD60F-4F83-47A3-8217-84F3B859F906.jpeg 263D850F-C75A-4195-BA40-06CBCC84C387.jpeg 57671E26-9365-4EC7-B474-8E9FF3D92820.jpeg

Piston Honda likes this.
  15. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

I put the BQ Grill and bug Zapper away today so I think I'm set.

Piston Honda likes this.
  16. Ncred02

Ncred02 John SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2017 Can Am Commander 800 DPS

I got the heaters ready for work and stocked up on propane just in case , so I guess I'm ready

17. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My cab enclosure is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I will be installing that and the plow mount this weekend.

Seastacker likes this.
  18. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

dropped about 3 in here the last couple days.... not enough to worry about, but gets ya thinking about winter! Oil heater in the shop is cranked up each day.

19. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

I would not typically plow 1.5-2" of snow, but I wanted to get a couple of adjustments made and my daughter wanted to go out. It worked well as one would expect. The real test will be when we get 8-12" of the heavy stuff. What I learned today:
    - I need plow flags. The plow disappears when I drop it down.
    - Power steering would be a HUGE plus! I will be airing up the front tires a bit to see if it helps.
    - I does not back blade well at all. I expected this since it is a light weight poly plow, but I verified it today.

The important part is my little girl had fun while daddy went out and played a little. :)

37480693-C51C-4AA8-BF32-E19F350468D8.jpeg

Piston Honda likes this.