1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Who can educate me on tracks?

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by DieselFume, Nov 26, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

There's a guy on my local Craigslist selling a set of polaris tracks that still have the rubber nubbins on them (barely used) for $2000. He told me he'd take $1800. Issue is, he bought them used to put on a Suzuki samurai till he found out that there are no adapters made that will bolt up. He thinks the guy he bought them from ran them on an 09 or 2010 polaris rzr.

I have no idea if these will fit my ranger at all. I'm sure they won't fit a 900 if or when we upgrade, but I'm pretty sure the ranger we bought as a spare (2013) we won't trade anytime soon and would keep as a spare or "tracked winter rig" if we had a track system.

Can anyone tell me what I need to know to be sure they'll fit my 2011-13 rangers?

roadkill likes this.
  2. Mason_tay

Mason_tay Mason SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 ranger xp900

Look for a part # or manufacturer and look them up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

called the guy tonight, he's gonna get a model number and we'll see if they'll work. My dealer tells me that the biggest differences in the track systems aren't dimensions, but the gearing designed into the tracks.... I'm not sure how much the gearing could be different between a RZR and Ranger, but it's be nice to find some information showing the differences between the kits.

4. mrsrzr570

mrsrzr570 Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

rzr 570, rzr 800, Ace 570

We bought a set of camoplast 4 season tracks for my rzr 570. They work perfect. The differences would be of the polaris tracks is the different mounting hubs.

5. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

near as I can tell from my polaris 2012 accessories book (forgot I had it!), all of the rangers, full and midsize along with the RZR from that year ran the same track system, just different mounting kits... The number the guy gave me today off the track housing is 2510341. Which from my google searches comes back to a 2010ish RZR. The mounting brackets are probably not going to work with my ranger without some mods.... But, I do see a mounting kit for my ranger on ebay for about $250... pretty cheap.

I'm thinking of going for it. Another 3-6 inches of snow forecasted for tomorrow night!

6. skytrash

skytrash Walt SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger 570

I think the Rangers look too cool on tracks. It would be a blast to take that thing out into some fresh snow.

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Ranger with tracks= 100% awesome and unstoppable!

8. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

So, the set of polaris tracks I was looking at are still available, and with a new track mounting kit for my ranger, they'll bolt up.... gonna cost me about $2300. Dealer also has a set of barely used tracks with correct mounts for $2500.

But, luckily, I was telling my a friend of mine about my search for a track setup. He took me to the back of their establishment, and behold, a complete set of TJD Cat Tracks that came off of a 2006 polaris ranger xp.

I took one home to test fit with mounting bracket on the front. The track bolted up perfectly as I knew it would with the common 4x156 pattern. The lower a arm bracket was a little different, but I think with a couple small tweaks it's gonna work fine. The rear a arm brackets should be the same or very close to my 800...

Bet part, he's thinking around $1000 bucks. I'm pretty happy!

Curt and mrsrzr570 like this.
  9. mrsrzr570

mrsrzr570 Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

rzr 570, rzr 800, Ace 570

That's a pretty awesome deal!!!!

DieselFume likes this.
  10. CFDTuc

CFDTuc SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2012 Polaris Ranger XP800 Browning

Great find!! Had a chance to run an 800XP with tracks several years ago and loved it in the snow. Be prepared to take forever to turn around but take no prisoners when it comes to drifts.

DieselFume likes this.
  11. Kudidl

Kudidl Rick SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2017 XP1000

Man that's a great deal for you.
    I'm happy too, no snow here hardly ever.:)

DieselFume likes this.
  12. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Well, Got them bought and paid for today. $1200! Rear tracks are hardly used, the front tracks show wear on the outer tread lugs for some reason. I figure it's from turning, or maybe too much toe? regardless, for as little as I'm going to most likely use them, I'm gonna get them mounted up on the spare/backup ranger, maybe to some greasing of the main hubs (as soon as I figure out how) and I'll be ready for a big snow!

Surprising how much weight they'll add to the ranger. Each track weighs somewhere around 80-100 lbs, minus the weight of the rim/tire assy, I'm most likely adding 250lbs to the weight of the machine. Glad I have power steering!

I'll post picks when I get them on!

mrsrzr570 and Seastacker like this.
  13. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Well, didn't do much today besides make a parts run and spend time with the family. did get the waste oil tanks refilled (cold week ahead), and the Ranger eligible for track transplant backed into the shop.

After inspecting the tracks, it's plain to see that the rear tracks are in great shape, but the outside edges of the fronts are a bit beat up. Not sure if that's from an odd wheel angle, or just bad alignment. From what I've read, the tracks should be aligned strait ahead or maybe 1/2 in toed in.

I popped the cover off of the drive bearings to take a look, thought I might be able to make some sort of way to grease them. No such luck, at least not this time. I soaked them in PJ1 as well as the Bogey wheels. The bogeys absorbed the lube well, and actually got all the way to the bottom bearing as well. I feel better knowing they've got some oil/grease on them, no telling how long they've been sitting, and it should help repel moisture as I use them.

Took some pics below, if anyone has any great ideas on how to make the drive gear bearings greaseable, I'm all ears!

Enjoy-
    20161201_4.JPG 20161201_5.JPG

Attached Files:

WagZ and skytrash like this.
  14. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Im surprised that there is no grease fittings anywhere for those main drives. I guess thinking back, all my Old Arctic Cat sleds only had zerks on one side (I know, similar but different animal). In terms of those idler/ bogey wheel bearings, you may wanna get a spec on those and keep a couple bearings and maybe a spare wheel on hand. I used to have a drawer full of idler wheel bearings for my skid frame. Those wheels/ bearings take some abuse! I would say even with the wear on those front tracks that you pretty much got the deal of the decade there! Cant wait to hear how it performs in the deep stuff.

15. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

It only stands to reason that the front would wear like that, when your driving on anything but snow that front is fighting to turn plus I think I read somewhere that you need to run in awd all the time which as you well know locks the diff and makes it want to fight the front to turn. I don't remember having zerks on my snowmobile track spindles but would never-seize the heck out of them.

16. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

I'd like to add zerks, but another problem is those bearings on that main drive are all sealed. I'd have to completely disassemble it, remove the dust covers off the bearings, and re-install. I'm thinking if I do that, it'll be new bearings. May just give it a go this year as-is if the snow ever gets deep enough, and if I like the setup, I may fashion some sort of better lubrication system.

I think you're right on the bogey/idler bearings Carl, I might get some of them coming just in case. They look like they'd take a beating.

17. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Tracks on yesterday, got to take it out for a quick spin!

Definitely rougher than plain old tires, need some real snow! this light 2-3 inches isn't enough.

I think they raised the ground clearance on the ranger a good 3 inches! 20161206_11.JPG

Attached Files:

18. Curt

Curt Administrator

That looks like it will go a lot of places now!

19. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Well, had a chance to drive it some last week with the new snow. Most of it blew away, but expecting another 5-8 inches Christmas day! One thing that I notice is a problem with the tracks is that in AWD the rear diff being locked makes it darn near impossible to turn ! I'm going to have to disable the diff lock on that machine at least temporarily to get around this.

20. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Adam, I think the deeper the snow the easier it will turn and the more you'll need posi, body English and throttle should help but might take some getting use to. I wonder if you could just tie a toggle switch into the awd switch?