1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Who plows with their SxS?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by LWood1933, Dec 1, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. LWood1933

LWood1933 Larry SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe camo

Waiting on some real snow here in MI. Starting to come down now. 20191201_094035.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    MikeinPA likes this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Moved from an atv up to a utv...great move! I also have an enclosed cab (soft side) and a small propane heater....look forward to plowing snow!!! Also have a snowblower for the drifts, need that for the ocassional really deep drifts or throwing excess snow over the wall created by the plow blade. Here in Ohio, we dont get alot of snow so playtime is fewer and farther between.

3. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

What kind of heater and how do you keep it in one place and keep the windshield from fogging?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

It is called a golf cart heater, made a quick holder from 2 pcs plywood and a coffee can filled with concrete. Made 4 as weights for portable shelter so I used 1 as a weight to keep heater from tipping. For snow plowing it works great, but wouldnt trust it trail riding, to much speed and rough trails. Runs about 5 hrs on 16oz tank. Full heat in less than 2 minutes, no fogging of windshield at all. I keep mine coated with spray auto polish/wax or rainex for plastic and no fogging.

Oldguy likes this.
  5. HillBillyX2

HillBillyX2 William SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2

I plow with my SXS with a 6' blade. Yamaha Wolverine x2 .works great. That Heater and soft sides and back sounds like a awesome idea. ILL have to check that out.

6. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

I've got a full soft cab, I wouldn't be without it now. Have heated seats in the 19 Odes but curious about the heater

7. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

X2 on that cab enclosure, keeps the cold blast out of your face. I just wear my Carhart jacket and some light weight gloves and a stocking hat, toasty warm can plow all day ....and yes I do sometimes just for the fun f it !! It is not sealed really well but definetly enough to make a really big difference. Mine is a Pacific Eagle enclosure, same material as a premium boat cover...takes about 2 hrs to install and remove in the spring. I have to remove windshield and hard top to install and remove enclosure, then reinstall windshield and top over the enclosure. Little bit of work but definetly worth the time. Neighbor is wrapped up in full snowmobile gear to use his atv to plow, takes him longer to dress than to plow snow.....

Oldguy likes this.
  8. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Regular

My Denali plow should arrive tomorrow.
    Anyone have any pointers about the install?

How about with actual plowing? Low gear I presume?

9. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Depending on machine my Denali went on in about 45minutes (19 Odes Dominator X-2) ABSOLUTELY low range, if gravel drive or going over lawn, I set my blade on a 1x4 and adjusted my skids down. Also a snatch block will change the angle of lift cable so it's not so sharp, saves on cable, I use one with synthetic winch line as well

10. mkp777

I have the stock winch and cable on this General 1000 4 seat. I do have a snatch block, just loop the cable around that and attach the hook....where?
    Can you post a pic of that?

Here's my next question:
    Whats 1X4?

The skids are those 'feet' on the bottom of the plow blade?

I ask because I will be plowing on a gravel driveway.

11. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Adjust your blade so it sets about 3/4 - 1 inch above the two skid feet. Another idea that works real well is to add a piece of rubber about 3/4 inch thick to the botto of the blade. It is sandwiched between the blade and the wear bar and hangs below the blade about an inch. Adjust the rubber up or down to get the best snow push without scraping up the gravel.

12. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

A 1 x 4 is a piece of wood approxamately 3/4" thick by 3 1/2" wide, I will try to get a pic this morning for the snatch block I used a piece of an old ratchet strap and wrapped it around my bumper then hooked the block to it

13. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Snatch block

Attached Files:

14. mkp777

Thank you for the pics!
    I'm sorry about asking about the 1X4, I miss read what you typed. I thought it was some sort of measurement or setting on the plow itself. When I read it again I realized you were talking about a lumber plank.
    I have a snatch block but not the other things you have there, that orange bumper looking device at the end of your cable and that strapping.
    Is there anything taboo, so to speak, about just connecting my stock winch cable to the plow blade?

I have seen some Utube video out there about the loop that the cable hooks to on the plow. That bracket that the winch cable hooks to breaking off.
    Has anyone had that happen to them?
    I just got the blade now. I had to go down into the town and meet the Fedex guy down there. I'm in a 2WD mini van and I made it down and up that hill. Fedex won't attempt it.
    Its 4 boxes and one is all ripped open so I hope everything is in it.
    I have to arrange some vehicles around to have room to work on this.
    My first task is to ascertain a tool list and gather them up.

Any advice is welcomed and thanks so much,

Mike

15. mkp777

I didn't know I had to remove the front bumper for this install.
    The instructions show everything very close up, I could use them to include a wider shot for perspective.

I got the plow mount on, good think I had an electric impact driver. I had no idea there were nut/bolts on the upper attachments for the bumper. I could see the nut but couldn't figure out how to get them loose. When sitting there thinking about it, I noticed those plastic caps there and used a straight screw driver to pry them off.

I noticed there was two sheets of directions with the mount. One if you have an OEM bumper and one if you don't.
    I guess I don't understand why two holes, bolts and welded nuts aren't needed if you have a bumper.
    In any case, I tightened everything down with the impact then gave it a few pulls with a wrench.

Tomorrow, I'll have more time to do the rest of it.
    Today I was using a snow blower mounted to a John Deere lawn tractor. That was about worthless for moving any snow at all.
    It just immediately got stuck in the snow and spun its wheels. I have chains on the rear wheels too. What a hunk of crap.
    I spent more time trying to get the thing unstuck than I did doing any actual work at all today.
    Frustrating.
    I'm never using it again.
    Tomorrow I'll concentrate on just working on this Polaris and Denali blade.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  16. Oldguy

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

I'm sorry you're having such difficulties, I didn't realise Polaris mounts were such a pain. The orange thing is just a cable stop not a "required" piece, the strap is justt an old ratchet strap, I made a loop and wrapped it around the bumper for a place too hook to. There is no "taboo" about hooking directly to the blade, this set up just eases the load on the winch and changes the angle of pull so it's not so steep. I started using it when , after a ouple years, broke my stteel winch line from the steep angle, hope this helps, any more questions, just ask

17. mkp777

Its a good idea, I will do it, I just have to go to the store to get one. I have to go down there anyhow, looks like some nuts/bolts were missing in the parts. Fedex refused to deliver where I live so I had to go down there. One of the boxes was all crushed and ripped open. The plastic parts bag was also open. So probably the missing pieces are in the bottom of that truck somewhere.

18. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

At least get your shipping costs refunded from fedex....they are the worse!

19. mkp777

It says on the instruction sheet, there is supposed to be two wear bars in my kit. There's only one.
    So I'll call MotoAlliance about that.

I take it they include two because they wear out quickly?

I am missing 2 of the big washers for the quick release pins and several of the 3/8" flat washers.

I will have some more questions about the adjustment of the feet on the blade when I return from the store. I didn't realize those were adjusted with the washers.

Gonna go get the washers and a strap to connect the cable to the bumper using the snatch block at the hardware store.
    I'm also gonna pick up a 1"X4" board because I can't find one in the garage.

I have a garage floor to do the setup.

Oh also, I'll have questions about how best to set up those springs that attach to the blade. Just not sure whats optimal.
    I will be plowing exclusively on a gravel drive way that is about 1/3 of a mile long.
    So I'll want to setup the blade for that.

I sure appreciate all the advice and tips. This stuff is easy for most people but I'm not a good mechanic at all obviously.

20. mkp777

They are absolutely the worst. I get up that hill most days in a 2WD minivan. They won't even attempt it.