1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Who plows with their SxS?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by LWood1933, Dec 1, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

I have mine se pretty tight as I have to deal with a lot of wind driven snow drifts, about an inch give or take is a good starting point

2. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Regular

What do you recommend for slushy wet snow or compacted snow?

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

It all depends on what type of surface your plowing on. If pavement like concrete or blacktop the blade can be set 1/4" above or right down on the surface with a rubber wiper on bottom but if gravel or uneven surface then start with blade an inch above the feet. All depends on how much snow you want left behind or how much gravel you want to scrape up and push into your yard. Cleaner plowing on any surface requires a rubber wiper on bottom edge. I dont mind a layer of snow to be left on the gravel, it builds up and keeps gravel out of the grass. So my blade is about 3/4 - 1 inch above the feet on each end. If your blade doesnt have skids or feet...add them to keep blade from digging in. With a paved drive, the feet are less important but the wear bar will wear quicker by dragging on the pavement.

4. mkp777

What is he purpose of those big springs behind the blade?

Are the adjustments for this springs in relation to the surface I'm plowing over or the type of snow? Or......

I ask because I have no idea how I should adjust the springs or what I should adjust them for.

5. mkp777

Yeah I obtained a 1X4 plank and will adjust the blade for 1" above the feet.

Do the feet have a tendency to dig into the gravel? I'd be worried about them hitting a partially buried rock. I don't want to bend the structure or damage something.

6. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yes, they do dig in if the gravel is wet and soft, thus the setting the blade 1 in above. The bigger the feet, the less they dig in. This is also another rwason many put a rubber wiper on the blade bottom, as it folds back slightly and rides over the gravel while pushing the snow. Once the gravel freezes over it is like plowing pavement but much rougher

7. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I should have added to plow slowly until your confident of the area your plowing. Plowing at speed is always dangerous! Many horror stories about people hitting stuff while plowing at speed. Most all mfgrs of blades recomend plowing at 5mph max. Unless you are on a really smooth paved surface that 5mph is about as fast as you can really go in heavy snow. This is why I prefer mid mounted snow plows rather than front mounted blades. In case of hitting something hard the mid mount spreads the impact over the full frame rather than the weaker front end. As long as your plowing smart you will be fine

8. mkp777

OK I'm to the point where I attach it to the General. The only strap I could find was a 15 foot length. I'll wrap it around the bumper and connect the winch cable to it and do the snatch block/clevis rigging that Oldguy is using.
    I am doing this by myself and its a bit hard moving that blade around.
    I mounted the blade stops like the instructions suggested. The short side to the blade.

Here is one question; The instructions talk about the 1/2" bolts that mount the blade to the swivel. It says, "Tighten the bolts/locknuts but don't over tighten".
    What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I've been assembling it with an battery powered impact driver. So its not like its 100 ft. lbs like an air impact. After I tighten the various bolts/nuts with the driver, I give them one more 1/2 turn with a combination wrench.

9. mkp777

Finally did some plowing today.
    It worked great.

I realized what the springs do. LOL
    When I hit some sort of obstruction I didn't see under the snow. It gave me an idea how I should adjust them.

Also ended up with some smaller cotter pins left over and I'm worried about where they're supposed to go.
    I've poured over the directions to find out but can't find them.

Still not sure what to adjust the feet to. I have them at about 1.1 inches or so of blade height above the garage floor. But sometimes they still dug into the gravel.

But bottom line, its on and it works.

Apologies to all for all the questions that by now I realize were somewhat stupid.
    :)

10. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

As long as your gravel drive is wet and soft the feet will dig in...no way around it, unless...you make larger feet or add a rubber wiper at the bottom of the blade. I added a fresh layer os stone a few weeks back and packed it real well however, if I were to try plowing right now my feet would dig in and my feet are big, almost 3" in dia, but the gravel has not froze yet so either need to manually keep the blade up higher so it doesnt dig in or add the rubber wiper to the bottom of your blade!!

11. mkp777

Is this wiper something you fashion yourself of can it be bought as an add on?

M

12. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

There is a company that makes them to your specs, I got a quote a couple years back for my 62" blade...about 130 bucks, they add slots for your screws...all done to your specs that you give them. I make my own, we have a farm and home store where they sell stall mats for horses. They run from 1/2" thick up to 3/4" thick depending on size. The bigger mat is around 50 bucks but you can make about 2 dozen or more wipers from one mat. I cut a strip about 4-5" wide and slightly longer than the blade. You can drill holes for the bolts on the wear bar, the rubber sandwiches between wear bar and blade and hangs about an inch or a little more below the blade, you will need to experiment with how far below for the best wipe on your gravel. As it wears you can just drill more holes and move it down. The rubber bends back and pushes gravel down rather than scooping it up. This also helps keep the feet from digging in. I have cut strips from left over mat for friends and neighbors, many have thrown 10-20 bucks per strip to help cover the cost of the mat. A little work to get started but the rubber does work well.

13. mkp777

I'll have to look up where I can get one of those mats around my area.

14. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

If you have a country farm store around they should carry "stall mats" for horses. If not they can be ordered online. With the extra material you could also add a top flap on the blade to help with rolling the snow into a taller pile. Both wiper and top flaps are readily availiable but not cheap. You can make a number of them yourself from the cost of 1 stall mat. Good luck!

15. mkp777

Thanks so much!

16. mkp777

Plowing is working out well!!
    I'll post some pics later!