1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Winching options

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by mkp777, Mar 10, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

1. mkp777

mkp777 Mike SXS Nation Rookie

My Polaris General 4 1000 came with a winch.

I bought a tree saver and a snatch block and clevis.

Well here's the problem.....

Not much trees in this area. There is sparse trees here and there. So I need a REALLY long cable or very strong line to use this winch!

My snatch block will accommodate a 5/16ths or 8mm line running through it.

Looking for suggestions,
    And I really appreciate any and all advice.

M

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

I’ve seen guys use ground anchors that look like a boat anchor and I’ve seen screw in anchors too.

DogRunner2 and DieselFume like this.
  3. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

The answer is: a 2.5" or bigger AUGER with a metal bar that can fit through the loop on top, got me out three times.
    Make sure that you drill it all the way in the ground.
    Also 1 snatch block is not enough, you need 3 if you need to pool yourself in reverse.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Curt likes this.
  4. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Interesting and educational. I learned how to splice the end of a winch rope and wind the rope on the winch correctly.

5. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

I would like to throw out a completely different option. Why mount a winch on your ride in a fixed location? Why not have a 2" receiver hitch on the front and back. This way you can mount the winch where you need it, as well as on your tow vehicle. This leaves the front of the SxS for a spotting hitch. I have a spotting hitch on my mule and I use it many more times than I use my Warn winch which I keep under the seat of the mule.

6. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Did that on my old quad, very usefull but had a manual lift plow blade so winch was not a must. On my SxS the winch is needed for the plow blade and not enough room in front to make a 2" reciever and add the winch as well. Have thought about adding another to the rear though.

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

In my many years of winching and for the many types of ground conditions you will run into there are really 3 options that will work really good and are designed for the job. And in not any order will be Pull Pal ground anchor , smittybilt W.A.S.P winch anchor and a ARB portable ground anchor. I have used 2 of them and they work great . I myself will be adding a smittybilt wasp to my recovery gear soon. also used the pull pal simple and straight forward and work. have not used a arb anchor but same thing