1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Windshield defrost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tessab, Jan 6, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. tessab

tessab Tessa SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General

Hi all, new to this forum. We own a 2017 Polaris General - front and back windshields, and doors. Having trouble in Manitoba winters keeping the windshield clear. Wondering what everyone has tried, and what works / what doesn't?

Looking on Amazon at 12v fans / heaters but am unsure if it will be powerful enough.

TYIA

2. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

Welcome to the Nation forums, Tessa. I'm new to the General world, so I won't have any input for your question.

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I have posted that I picked up a propane golf cart heater for my UTV and so far it works great, instant heat no need for machine to get totally warm before you have heat. We have had good snows and temps to -10 with no frosting of the windshield with the propane heater on. It does get some condensation on the inside but easily wiped off. With the rising heat from the little heater the windshield and rear window stay clear...so far!

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I don't know what's available for the General specifically, but the only real way you're getting defrost style heat to your windshield is through a coolant type heater that will need to be plumbed into your cooling system. Electric heaters do not have enough btu's to do much for cab/defrost heat, plus puts an enormous load on the charging system (I don't recommend it)..

Get yourself a good heater plumbed in, and you'll be happy!

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Oilcan likes this.
  5. Oilcan

Oilcan Steve SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

RZR XP 1K, Honda Rincon, Honda Rancher

Polaris makes the best heater for your ride. It has a bypass valve so the engine works at it's optimum temp all the time giving you toasty warm heat. And it is designed to fit.. no running to a parts store or Home depot for odd sized bits to "make it fit" :)

DieselFume likes this.
  6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Tessa!

As stated the best solution for you windshield would be the heater for made the General and sold by Polaris!

7. AKAAlaskan

AKAAlaskan Rob SXS Nation Rookie