1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Windshield

Discussion in 'Odes Nation' started by Lcg2424, Nov 21, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Lcg2424

Lcg2424 Larry SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Odes 2015 4x4

I just bought a2015 odes dom. The man said he had never used the windshield put up in his shop I went to put it on looks like a spider weab inside it can’t see are they all like that after a while??

Attached Files:

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My guess he tried cleaning it with the wrong product and caused the plastic to craze. Not uncommon on plastis windshields. Need to watch what cleaners are used!

Oldguy likes this.
  3. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Made the same mistake on my 17. Wrong cleaner. there are several places onlie that sell replacements

4. jweese1

jweese1 Jack SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Odes 800x Dominator

Mine did the same thing. I was told it came from trailering it that you are supposed to remove the windshield when trailering over 45 mph.

Oldguy likes this.
  5. hondatalon1000x4

hondatalon1000x4 chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

'20 honda talon 1000x-4

question; looking into making my talon street legal(dirtlegal.com) and was wondering about which type of windshield to buy; plexi or real glass? Which will hold up over time from scratches? Will glass stand up to taking the bumps from offroad? Any info is appreciated. thanks.

6. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Glass is better for sure but is very heavy, also needs good mounting to keep it in place while going over rough trails. Also expensive when compared to lighter weight plastic. Plexiglass scratches easily, lexan is tougher and unbreakable but still needs care to keep from scratching. Hardened lexan is much more scratch resistant but also more expensive. Due to heavy duty mounting requirements glass should be most expensive.
    With all that..I bought a piece of std lexan plastic and made my own tilt down windshield, been on my utv for almost 5 yrs and scratches are minor, no visibility issues, but I do clean it properly! Keep it polished with plastic wax to keep stuff from sticking. Cost overall was about half of a commercially made hardened lexan windshield and about 1/3 the cost of glass. So....your call...excess weight with glass but no scratching, but it will shatter on impact. Never use "plexiglass" as it scratches easy and will shatter on impact!
    Lexan or tempered lexan are the choice for most shields due to cost, light weight, and no breaking on impact. With care will last many years as mine has.

7. hondatalon1000x4

hondatalon1000x4 chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

'20 honda talon 1000x-4

Ok great. good info to have, thank you for the help. i will look into options. thanks again.