1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Windshields

Discussion in 'Forum Help, Suggestions & Feedback' started by Timsrzr800, Nov 26, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Timsrzr800

Timsrzr800 Tim SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris Rzr 800

What kind of windshield do you guys like best? Full,half or fold down?

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

I prefer the full windshield and also glass not poly

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

Sorry welcome to the Nation Timsrzr800!

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Just received a windshield from utvcabenclosures.com that is an aerovent setup. Stronger than a half windshield. Ill post up some pictures when I get time to get it mounted.

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Really depends on what you are doing. I run a half shield in the summer when I'm riding the trails. I then run a full in the winter with a canvas back. If you do end up going poly, be sure to spend the little extra on the hard coat. It does not make them "scratch proof", but extremely scratch resistant. My full shield is hard coat and still looks brand new whereas the half is not and had scratches and swirl marks out of the box.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  6. Bigtim69

Bigtim69 Tim SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X Limited

I run a half shield, I like to get muddy. Full shield gets hard to see out of when it gets muddy, unless you put a wiper on. Didn't want to go through all that :).
    Its poly with the hard coat, has a few scratches in it already, but not that concerned about it. Also made a cardboard template and had a plastic shop make me a back window, not hard coated but works great .

7. Curt

Curt Administrator

I like the full tip out glass windshields.

8. CFDTuc

CFDTuc SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2012 Polaris Ranger XP800 Browning

Second the full tip-out glass. Summer spent cracked open, wide open on really miserable days. Winters sealed tight and warm. Easy to wash and not the major worries about scratches.

9. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I vote for and have the full tip up windshield for all the reasons listed above. The only weakness is the lifts, I have had to replace my lifts three time so far.

10. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

I like the poly hard coats because of the cost savings, but on my next machine I will be aiming for some sort of a tip out glass. The poly seems to attract the dust like crazy even with static free cleaners. That means I cant run a full shield even if I wanted to in the summer or risk being blind or having to stop and clean the shield every 10 minutes. That much cleaning would certainly scratch even a hard coated shield eventually. The bad....the glass shields are pretty spendy.

11. Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti Mike SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris XP 1000

Just bought my machine and because i plan to ride it on the ice and in winter a lot and because I plan to keep it for a long time, I bit the bullet and got the factory glass Tip out. Rocky Mountain ATV always has 10% off Polaris parts. Would imagine about any dealer would match that too, but you would save some in sales tax ordering online rather than picking up at local dealer. I believe their shipping was free too.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  12. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I got a 3/4-1/4 poly, can remove either and usually ride all summer with the bottom 1/4 removed, really like it that way, good flow and still keep the bugs out of my teeth but.....next one will be a full glass tip out, way easier to clean and my spray chemicals won't affect it.

13. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris RZR XP900 Walker Evans

14. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

I have had the full glass tip out on my last three Rangers and I love them,

15. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I do like my glass tip up windshield, but I do have a problem with it. The stupid strut or piston that holds them up don't hold up very well. I had to replace my entire windshield after an accident a year ago. Two weeks ago the windshield would not stay up so I checked the pistons and one was leaking at both ends and I don't run too often with the windshield all the way up. Since it is an accessory the warrantee will not cover it. Polaris wants $70. for a single piston. Found them on like for $20. a pair 100 lbs power.

16. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

Just curious Joe, do you ride in the rough stuff with the window all the way up? I never ride trails in more than the first vent position if the trails are rough. I have not had a single piston fail me and I have been riding with Polaris flip up windshields for many years. I have had to adjust the lock down mechanism for the lower stage opening now and then

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 11:28 PM