1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine X2 running too cool after heater install.

Discussion in 'Wolverine Nation' started by Piston Honda, Jan 17, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

Once the outside temp got below 30, my X2 engine wasn't running hot enough to provide adequate heat. The engine temp needs to be 170+ before the UPI heater is blowing warm air. Under 30 degrees outside and the engine temp was in the 150s and 160s and not blowing warm air into the cab. I did two things to correct this and I'm not sure which one did it or if it was both. I may do another test to find out.

First thing I did was try to bleed more air out of the system. I jacked up the front end, removed the radiator cap, and let the machine run for about 30 minutes. The coolant was bubbling air the entire time so I think there was still a lot of air in there.

While I was letting it bubble, I cut a piece of cardboard about 17"x10". I folded it in a way that would let me fit it in the hole and could unfold it while it was down there to fit behind the radiator brackets. Kind of like an accordion. I inserted it against the radiator and behind the brackets, blocking off almost the entire radiator. I took it for a run and the temp stayed mid 180s and up. The outside temp was 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

Capture.JPG

20190113_211219.jpg

GO40 and Seastacker like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

I’d be willing to bet both things helped out.

Seastacker and Piston Honda like this.
  3. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

You're probably right. I can remove the cardboard and find out, but I'm going to enjoy the heat for a little while first.

Curt likes this.
  4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I have very minimal miles on my rig, but I have a similar issue I think. When I first got it, it would get up towards 200 fast and hover in the 190-200 range. It would put out TONS of heat. Since I had the ECU tuned it sticks more in the 170-180 range. Im sure the tune added some fuel compared to the lean tune from Polaris. The heater thermostat is at 180 I think, so it does not produce a lot of heat. It may get better as I drive it for longer periods of time, but it will also be a lot colder than the mild temps I have been messing around in. I think I may need to do the same as you and make a radiator block off for the winter. Lord knows I have enough boxes from this build around to choose from :eek:o_O

Rockin Ronnie and Piston Honda like this.
  5. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

My operating temp in the summer is in the low 200s. The fan comes on at 207. I was surprised how much cooler it runs when the outside temperature even got down to 60.

Seastacker likes this.
  6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

@Piston Honda

How is your heater plumbed into your engine? Is it looped into bleeder hose loop before the thermostat, or did you "T" it into your upper/lower rad. hoses?

I know on my 570s heat is an issue. My heaters are plugged into the engine air bleed hose (basically made the heater circuit the air bleed circuit) So that basically any and all hot water that is generated at the engine circulates through the heater first, and once the thermostat opens at 190, coolant can begin going to the radiator.

My problem is that these little engines generate so little heat, that when the weather is cold it's tough to keep the coolant temps in the 150s/160s. Lukewarm heat at best.

Your best heat would be to splice into that circuit if you can (if yours has one), or if you have a fitting below the thermostat housing you can tap into (or on the cyl. head) and then T the return into the lower rad hose.

Worst case scenario, I throw an old rug on the seat. makes the vinyl a little less cold when it's sub zero out there. You don't want anything to freeze down. :D

7. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

Mine is plumbed like yours. A y-fitting off the hot side of the engine supplies the heater core and a Y-fitting off the heater core supplies coolant back into the engine. That's the loop until the thermostat opens then I guess they share.

8. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Read about these same issues on other forums, for that same reason went with a propane fired heater, instant heat, whether engine is warm or not. 2nd year and no complaints, best part is less than 75 invested!

DieselFume likes this.
  9. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I'd like to see that heater.

10. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Piston Honda likes this.
  11. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I thought it might be something more sophisticated.

12. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Last winter was so cold that I was seriously considering a propane heater to supplement the existing one.

I ended up putting in a lower radiator hose type block heater which would get my engine up to about 140 degrees so when I started out in the morning I already had pretty good heat...

Piston Honda likes this.
  13. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I had an offer for some discounted heated seat warmers from a local vendor but I really didn't want anyone besides me taking my machine apart or running any wires without me supervising. I decided I didn't need them that bad. :D

DieselFume and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  14. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

You've added another radiator and more fluid so it's bound to run cooler, and depending on outside temp the thermostat may not be able to keep up. I'm kind of thinkin out loud but what if you add a restrictor in the line, any automotive shop should have them, it's just a plug with a smaller hole, had to put one on my diesel truck to slow the flow into the heater core.

Piston Honda likes this.
  15. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

UPI said they were working on a thermostat for the heater core hose, but my problem is solved with the cardboard and a thorough purge of air from the cooling system.

Seastacker likes this.
  16. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I took it out for a ride today and the engine temp stayed in the 180s. The temp outside is in the single digits and it wasn't super warm in the cab, but it was warm enough to wear just my mitten liners.

17. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yep that is the unit I use, made my own base to sit on the floor so it cant tip. Has auto shutoff for tipping and O2 depletion. Auto pizzo startup and one button instant shutdown. Runs about 4-5 hrs on 16 oz bottle.

Piston Honda and Seastacker like this.
  18. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I may get one of those to get through the first 30 minutes of waiting for everything to warm up.

DieselFume likes this.
  19. GO40

GO40 Danny SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

wolverine x2

Installed a Inferno heater I also had to put cardboard in the front to get the temperature up....

20. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Didnt have to change anything when I installed my propane heater, just set it on the floor and pushed the button. In about one or two minutes I am toasty warm. No plumbing, no connecting. LOL !!